3.28.2012

Idol...Top 9 perform

After Ryan does intros, we get a group fashion consultation with Tommy H.  I still don't understand the point of these segments.  Fast forward.

So, tonight the kids will be singing by themselves (songs by their idols) AND they'll also be singing in trios.  Stevie Nicks is the mentor.  I love Stevie Nicks.



Colton is first.  He and Stevie had a deep conversation about how his hair is his baby.  Stevie told him not to cut it.  I'm sorry, but it's time to let the baby leave the nest.  Colton has suddenly become Christian Boy.  He's singing Everything by Life House, his favorite worship song.  He says music found him through church.  Ugh.  He never did it for me anyway, but now he's lost me, heathen that I am.  He sounds pitchy and I don't care for the song.  Judges loved it though.  Steven even said he has perfect pitch.  Really?!  J was moved.  Randy said it was "unbelievable."  What?

Skylar is signing Miranda Lambert.  I don't know the song because I couldn't understand what Skylar said...something about a shotgun.  She seems to be exaggerating her accent on this song.  It's not my favorite performance of hers.  Too bad she's not on The Voice--she might've had a chance to work with Miranda.  Judges loved it.  Apparently I'm hearing something different tonight.

The first trio is up singing a Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac medley of "Landslide," "Edge of Seventeen," and "Don't Stop."    It's Colton, Phillip, and Elise.  They do a decent job.

Heejun is singing "A Song for You" by Donny Hathaway.  I love that Donny is his idol.  He's showing his sensitive side, and that he can take this seriously like Steven advised last week.  He sings "A Song For You" so beautifully.  Standing O from the judges. 

Hollie is singing Carrie Underwood's "Jesus, Take the Wheel."  She does a nice job and is dressed appropriately for her age tonight.  Randy panned her though.  J thought it was one of her best.  And Steven was somewhere in between.  He didn't like the song choice.

Deandre is next.  My expectations are low because I'm chatting with friends on FB and they already told me it wasn't good.  Eric Benet is his idol, and there's his problem.  Didn't he beat his girlfriend?  Oh no.  My sister tells me he was a sex addict.  Whatever.  Deandre was okay.   I think I'm already biased against him because he gets on my nerves so badly and now it's hard to see any good in what he does.   His falsetto isn't the same as Maxwell's which I could listen to all day long.  Judges loved it though.  I'm really at odds with them tonight.

Jessica is next singing Beyonce's Sweet Dreams as a ballad.  She's awesome.  On this, the judges and I agree. 

Now another trio of Deandre, Johsua, and, Heejun doing MJ's "Lady in My Life," "Rock with You," and "PYT."  This was fun.

Phillip is next.  He's doing Jonny Lang's Still Rainin'.  I LOVE Jonny Lang.  LOVE.  Stevie Nicks says he's going to be famous.  He was great!  LOVE IT!  The judges stand again. 

Joshua is taking on Mariah Carey's version of "Without You."  He did a great job.  The judges loved it.  Randy of course had to drop his knowledge about Mariah's birthday.   He said he always tells people not to ever attempt these big songs, yet they did a whole Whitney Houston show.  Can we have some consistency please?


The next trio is Jessica, Hollie, and Skylar singing Madonna.  "Like a Prayer," "Borderline," and "Express Yourself."  Nice job ladies.


Bringing up the rear is Elise, singing, Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin.  Jimmy had Stevie and Elise sing together...cool for Elise.  She does seem to channel Stevie in her style.  In her performance, she knocked it out!  It was amazing!!  Judges loved it too.


My least faves were Colton, Deandre and Skylar.



No comments: