2.12.2012

Grammys 2012

After Bruce Springsteen's first TV performance since Clarence Clemons passed away, LL Cool J opened up the show with a prayer for Whitney Houston and her family.  They then showed a clip of one of her performances at the Grammys, and then LL livened the mood by promising a show full of joy and new Grammy memories.  He said:
We're gonna go on, we're gonna make music, we're gonna have fun, we're gonna dance, we're gonna sing, because this night is about something much bigger than any one of us.  This night is about something truly universal and healing.  This night is about music.
It was a classy opening and got things off to a good start.  Bruno Mars then gave a rousing and fun performance that had me on my feet dancing. 


I decided not to blog the whole show, but here are a few notes:

  • I enjoyed Taylor Swift's performance.  This was a first for me.  Momentous.
  • Common!
  • El DeBarge had an album out? (I don't listen to R&B radio much anymore like I should.  Don't listen to much radio at all, actually.  I've usually got the iPod on.)
  • I love watching the backup dancers during show performances to see if I can find anyone from So You Think You Can Dance.  Not tonight, but it happens sometimes.
  • Adele.  Oh, Adele.  Love her so much.  I'm so glad that voice was preserved.  She sounded AMAZING.  And she looks fantastic too.  She deserved each and every award she won.  By the way... I can't remember if I've mentioned it or not, but I got her DVD, Live at the Royal Albert Hall for Christmas.  It's great.
  • It was bittersweet to see Glen Campbell's performance, knowing that it's one of his last as he faces Alzheimer's.  As I've mentioned thousands of times before, I'm not a big country fan, but his songs remind me of my dad, who loves country.
  • Lovely duet between Tony Bennett & Carrie Underwood...she can really handle the jazz genre.
  • Jennifer Hudson singing "I Will Always Love You" gave me chills and brought on the water works.  Beautiful.
  • I downloaded my first Foo Fighters song:  Rope.  Loved that performance.
  • Nicki Minaj.  WTF?!
  • LL Cool J and his cute dimples made for a great host.
This was one of the best Grammy shows in a long while.  It helps when you like (and have heard of) the winners for Record and Album of the Year.  Go Adele!



No comments: