2.16.2012

Domestic Violets by Matthew Norman

Domestic VioletsDomestic Violets by Matthew Norman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really, really liked this book.  As I was reading, I realized it was very similar to the last book I read, Straight Man, but it was much funnier and I related to it much more.  I read it in less than a week, whereas Straight Man took me a month and a half.  It was interesting to read that Matthew Norman's favorite author happened to be Richard Russo.

The story is narrated by Tom Violet, a 35-year-old copy writer.  He's having issues with his wife and he hates his job.  He wants to be a writer, and has actually completed his first book, yet no one knows about it, and he lives in the shadow of his father, an author who just won the Pulitzer Prize.  Tom is sarcastic and funny a typical guy.  I also enjoyed that the story took place in DC, although there were a couple of flaws in the details. Tom's trials and tribulations are told with humor, but also with insight and heartfelt emotion.

I definitely recommend this one.

View all my reviews

No comments: