12.28.2011

At the movies...

I saw Young Adult with my family the other day.    The movie's about a woman who writes young adult fiction, who goes back to her home town to try to get back her high school boyfriend, who's married and just had a baby.  Charlize Theron's performance was great.  It's amazing how she's so beautiful, but can play down, out and scrubby so easily.  Her character was a mess.  We all enjoyed it.

Last night I saw The Artist, which was WONDERFUL.  It's a black-and-white, silent film about movies and the transition from silent films to "talkies."  The movie was great.  There's always talk about there being no original ideas out there.  Well, this was certainly original.  It was fun to watch, and dare I say, magical?   Plus it was also a great movie-going experience.  I think because it was a silent film, and all you heard was the musical score, people in the audience were more conscientious of the noises they made.  I wasn't annoyed by anyone's talking, texting, popcorn crunching, or paper unwrapping.  It was nice.  And the movie made me smile. 

I'm off work this week and plan to see a few more movies.  It's hard to decide what to see because there's so much out there I want to see:  We Bought a Zoo, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, My Week with Marilyn, War Horse, Hugo....   I just love this time of year!
 

2 comments:

Erika said...

If you want company for a movie, I'll go see any of those except for Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (can't do movies with sexual violence, and from what I understand there are at least two rape scenes in that movie). I am off through Monday Jan 2, and go back to work on Tuesday. :)
Erika

Kerri said...

I saw young adult, while wearing a Hello Kitty tshirt like Charlize's character, AND we both drive red mini coopers. Hopefully, the similarities end there. But Fermin and I laughed about that. Yes, I agree, she's so beautiful, and does such a great job playing these ugly characters. I love that she isn't afraid to do that!!

I saw "My Week with Marilyn"- I'm sure Michelle Williams will be nominated for her performance! I forgot I was watching an actress play Marilyn!

Also, saw "We Bought a Zoo"- a little cheesy, but I loved it.

I wanna see War Horse too. And now, The Artist is on my list as well!!