Now, that out of the way, here's what I really came to write about. I saw this question posted on Twitter:
|Link to Christy Lemire's list|
NOTE: these movies are old, so I don't think I need to give a SPOILER alert, still, if you don't know what happens at the end of Carrie, and don't want to know, then skip that section.
Movies are listed chronologically by the year they were released:
- The Wizard of Oz (1939). It was those damn monkeys.
- Carrie (1976). I was only six when this movie came out, so clearly I didn't see it in the theater. My family and I watched this when it was on TV, maybe in 1983 or so. What I remember is that my folks were on the bed, and my sister and I were on a blanket on the floor. I was sitting there munching on popcorn and thinking, oh, this movie wasn't so scary, and then SCREAMING MY HEAD OFF when that hand popped out of the ground at the end. Holy shit! I think my dad even screamed a little bit. After that shock, we all laughed, but it shook me up for quite a while.
- Magic (1978). First of all, I never even saw this movie. I was 8 years old when it came out and just the TV commercials freaked me out. Look at the dummy. Are you kidding me?! It's SCARY. I still don't like it.
- Poltergeist (1982). This came out in 1982, but I didn't see it until it came out on VHS, probably 1983. Anyway, just watching this clip on YouTube got my heart racing. Oh, the horror....
- Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan (1982). I can't even search for the video for this one without feeling sick to my stomach. Here's a description of the scene in question (pulled from Wikipedia): He implants Chekov and Terrell with indigenous, mind-controlling eels
that enter the ears of their victims and uses the officers to gain
control of the Reliant.
WTF??? EELS THAT ENTER THE EARS?!?!?!?! ACCKKKKKKK!!!!!! I wanted to leave the theater right then and there! My dad insisted we stay. I just kept my eyes and ears closed the rest of the movie.