10.23.2011

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A Novel by Tom Franklin

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A NovelCrooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A Novel by Tom Franklin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is another of those "liked it, but didn't love it" books.  The story is about Larry and Silas, who first meet as kids in the 1970s in rural Mississippi. (Larry is white, Silas is black.) The two bonded for a short period of time, but then had a falling out. Then, Larry takes a girl on a date, and she's never heard from again. Her body was never found, and Larry never confessed. The people in town believed he was responsible and ostracized him.

The story jumps back and forth (rather haphazardly!) between the 70s and present day, when Larry is suspected in the disappearance of another young woman. This time, Silas is a police officer and becomes involved in the investigation.

The book is described as a murder mystery, but there wasn't too much mysterious about it. It was actually very predictable. What kept me reading, however, was the excellent writing and character development of Larry and Silas. I was curious how their relationship would evolve.

It was a quick read and cost only $2.99 for the Kindle. I guess I got my money's worth. I'm not sure I'd recommend this to anyone though, unless it's someone who's more into language and character development than they are plot.


View all my reviews

No comments: