7.05.2011

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

AttachmentsAttachments by Rainbow Rowell

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'd really like to give this book 3.75 stars. I came across it at Barnes & Noble under their Discover Series and was drawn to it because the author, Rainbow Rowell, is from Omaha, Nebraska. My parents are from Omaha, and I've gone there once a year my whole life (40 years) to visit family.

The story takes place in 1999/2000 and is about an IT guy named Lincoln who works for a newspaper. Lincoln's job is to monitor employee e-mail messages that have been flagged for violations such as bad language or inappropriate subjects. E-mails from Beth and Jennifer are frequently flagged, but as Lincoln reads their messages, he finds himself intrigued by them and the stories of their lives.


The book was fun to read and I enjoyed each character. I also enjoyed coming across familiar landmarks in Omaha, such as the Indian Hills movie theater, which I used to love before they tore it down. The main (and only) problem I have with this book, though, is that it's hard for me to believe that people would write such long, detailed, and personal e-mails to each other. (Maybe it's because I work for the government where I'm reminded every day that I should expect no privacy when using government equipment.) Still, as I was reading a lot of the emails that Beth and Jennifer sent back and forth, I couldn't help but wonder, why don't they just meet for lunch and talk about this stuff? They work for the same company--presumably they get a lunch break. But if they did that, Lincoln wouldn't have anything to read, he wouldn't be drawn to them, and the story would fail. You just have to suspend disbelief a little bit.

Beyond that, I felt it was very well written, and I look forward to more from Rainbow Rowell. (This is her first book.)

View all my reviews

No comments: