6.14.2011

SYTYCD and The Voice

I just finished watching the Top 20 dancers revealed on SYTYCD.  (I fell behind last week preparing for a yard sale on Saturday--not sure all that work was worth the $105 I made....)  ANYWAY,  as I noted in my post on June 2, it's usually not worth it to start rooting for dancers during the tryouts because you may never see them again.  Against my better judgment, on June 5, I posted five videos of the auditions I liked.  While all these videos are worth watching, of the six contestants I really enjoyed, only two of them made it to the Top 20: Jordan Casanova and Tadd Gadduang.

It looks like a good group this year. There's a terrific group of hip-hop dancers, include Tadd. American Idol needs to take note of how this kick-off show was done. Instead of a full hour or two of contestants walking down the long hall to receive their news, the news-giving was interspersed with performances of the Top 20. Much better approach.

This year, the Top 20 will perform in pairs. Once they get to the Top 10, the SYTYCD All Stars will be introduced. I look forward to that too. Should be a good season.

Now, to The Voice...just a couple of comments. First, Adam Levine's team's group sing was MUCH better than Cee Lo's. I enjoyed Javier Colon's solo from Adam's team as well as Vicci Martinez' performance from Cee Lo's team. I didn't really love anything else--so, based on the performances last week and this week, Christina and Blake had the stronger teams.

Also, I really disliked* Curtis Grimes' (from Cee Lo's team) country rendition of Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love." Ew.

*I say "disliked" because my sister hates when I use the word "hate."

I missed the first 20 minutes of the show, but it turns out that American saved Beverly (yay!) and Christina saved Frenchie.  Those were my faves, so I'm happy.

At the end of the show, we learn that America saved Dia from Blake's team.  Not sure I agree with that.  Remember, I was annoyed by all the accolades for doing something original, when it had really already been done before?  Anyway, Blake makes the decision to save Xenia, who I loved!  Awesome.  Blake said he can't affect change with Jared or Patrick like he can with Xenia.

Next week we'll find out who goes through from Adam and Cee Lo's team. 

No comments: