6.26.2011

Summer TV

Despite most network shows being on summer hiatus, I'm still watching plenty of good TV.    Here are the shows I really look forward to each week:


Men of a Certain Age (TNT) - in its third season (well, actually, its second part of season 2), it keeps getting better and better.  I LOVE this show.  Starring Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula, it makes me laugh, it makes me cry.  My mom watched it with me for the first time last week and she was hooked.

In Plain Sight (USA) -  A show about U.S. Marshalls who are responsible for participants in the Witness Protection Program.  It takes place in Albuquerque, NM.  The best part of this show is the friendship between Mary, the main character, and her partner Marshall.  (Yes, Marshall, the Marshall.)  The chemistry between them is fantastic and they play so well off each other.

Franklin and Bash (TNT) - I wasn't sure I liked this show after the first episode, but now I find I really enjoy it.  Two lawyers/best friends who practice law by walking to the beat of their own drummer, are brought into a big law firm by the quirky head of the firm.  It's a fun show.

Treme (HBO) - just great.  I love Steve Zahn, and Khandi Alexander has given a wonderful performance after her character was attacked.  Great music too!

Memphis Beat (TNT): Speaking of great music, this show has a fantastic soundtrack. I love Jason Lee, and the rest of the cast is great too.  Jason Lee seems to have chiseled up a bit this season.  He plays a detective in Memphis, but he's also a singer.

Food Network Star (Food Network) - Even though I don't do a whole lot of cooking myself,  I do love watching the Food Network.  On this show, contestants compete to win their own show on the Food Network.  The challenges are fun and entertaining, but what I really enjoy is the peek behind the scenes into how those food shows are done. 

The Glee Project (Oxygen) - Several of the students on Glee will be seniors next season and will graduate.  The Glee Project is the producers attempt to find new talent for the show.   There are some talented kids in the competition, though some really annoying ones too.   If you're going through Glee withdrawal, this might fit the bill.  You hear the same interlude music and narration each week like they have on Glee.  Fun to watch.

Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime) - I really enjoy this show about a young 25-year-old model who was killed in a car accident and brought back to life as a plus-size, 30-something, lawyer.  Brooke Elliott as the lead, Jane Bingum, is wonderful.  

Louie (F/X) - starring Louie C.K., who I really didn't care for the first time I saw his stand up, but have now come to love.  He's so crass, but so truthful too.  His show is semi-autobiographical, and it's about the live of a divorced stand-up comedian with two daughters.  He's awkward and shy with women, doesn't really have a lot of friends, and constantly gets himself into awkward, but hilarious, situations.

And of course, So You Think You Can Dance, but I'm pretty sure I've covered that elsewhere in the blog.

Coming this week:  True Blood (HBO) and The Big C (Showtime) with Laura Linney.  Looking forward to both!  And coming later this summer:  The Closer (TNT) and Damages (F/X)Can't wait!

Sadly, I'm losing interest in White Collar and Covert Affairs (both on USA).  They've both gotten kind of stale.  It's the same thing every week.  Might have to give those up.

And finally, the jury's still out on Wilfred (F/X) - Elijah Wood stars as a guy who, after a failed suicide attempt, begins to see his neighbor's dog Wilfred, as a man in a dog suit.  Elijah and the audience see Wilfred this way.  Everyone else just sees him as a dog.  It's hard to describe--I think this is one you just have to see for yourself.  I saw the pilot episode this week, and though there were parts about it I liked, there were other parts that were perhaps a bit disturbing.  I dunno...I'll give it another try next week.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i'm gonna have to try that men of a certain age!

and for me-- celeb rehab. and i find myself very hooked on the casey anthony murder trial. it's scott peterson all over again.