5.18.2011

Idol's Top 3 Perform

I missed posting the results of the elimination show last week because Blogger was down for so long.  Bottom line:  James is gone.  People were shocked.  Now, come on Haley!  If the final two wind up being Lauren and Scotty, I'll have absolutely NO interest in who wins.  I'd watch the finale, but only for all the other performances.  I don't think I can take a country-fied finale.

Last week the contestants got to go home for their big parades and celebrations.  I have some friends who got to see Scotty in Garner, NC.  My friends kids were so excited to see Scotty that they were trembling and close to tears.  I've never understood the tears thing like when you see The Beatles or Elvis perform, but I maybe can understand crying for those groups more than I can for Scotty McCreery.  Maybe I'd cry if I were ten feet from Prince, but somehow I don't think so.

NOTE:  Idol is early next week.  The performance show will be on TUESDAY while the finale will be on WEDNESDAY.  I need to make sure Tivo makes note of that too!

So, Beyonce's on tonight.  She's beautiful, but her hair is too blonde, so her coloring looks weird.  She's listening to the contestant's personal picks tonight.

Scotty goes first with his favorite song by Lonestar, "Amazed."  I'm already over Scotty, so this performance didn't do anything for me.  I don't think it measures up to the original.  He was kind of dull.  ST thought it was beautiful.  JLo says he's grown so much as a performer.  Really??  Every performance of his sounds exactly the same to me.  Randy pointed out a couple of pitchy spots, but he basically liked it.

Lauren is singing "Wild One" by Faith Hill.  Beyonce tried to give her tips on confidence.  Yes, once again someone had to talk to Lauren about confidence.  I think she should've waited another year or two before going out for the show.  She's so young...this has got to be a lot for her.  This song didn't wow me either.  It was alright.  JLo said she attacked it.  Okaaaayyy.  RJ babbled on about the confidence thing and said it was nice.  ST said she sang like she owned the song.  He said she's ready for America to be all over her.

Haley is singing Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be."  She chose this song because it's what she grew up with.  Her dad gets to perform with her--that's kinda cool.  She starts off in a jazzy tone and then gets into the rock part.  I didn't love her song choice, but think she did a good job.  Oh, and did I mention that she fell?  She ran around the stage in 6" heels and took a stumble when going up the stairs.  But, she got right back up and kept on singing.  The judges gave her a standing O!  Randy loved it.  Steven said, "Haley, did you fall for me?"  ST said it was superb.  JLo mentioned that she's fallen on stage, that Beyonce's fallen on stage--but what matters is that she kept going.  Randy gave round one to Haley!

Now it's time for round two.  But first a clip of Scotty's audition.  Zzzzzzz...

In this round, Jimmy's choosing the song.  "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" by Thompson Square.  It reminds Jimmy of Tom Petty stuff, yet it's real country.  Jimmy thinks a touch of this should be in Scotty's first record.  At least when he's playing guitar he's not doing that stupid microphone hold of his.  Still not my thing.  ST liked it.  So did JLo.  She also asked that he shave his hair for the finale because she liked how he looked during his audition.

Lauren's next.  Seems she got a "runner in her panty-hose"!  [Quick--name that movie!*]  Jimmy chooses "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry.  She did a nice job.  I liked this performance better than the first.  JLo and Randy mentioned a coule of stumbles, but they loved it.  ST said she nailed it again.

After commercial, we get to see Beyonce's new video.  (Why else would she be on the show if she didn't have something to promote?)

Jimmy chooses Rihannon by Fleetwood Mac.  He said that ever since he met Haley, he's felt she should sing Stevie Nicks.  I agree.  Haley performs with a fan blowing on her, so it's very dreamlike.  Reminds me of a Mariah performance.  She did a good job.  Randy said her pitch was perfect, but it was a little somber for him.  Steven said it reminded him of why he fell in love with Stevie Nicks in the first place.  Jlo said it was a nice contrast to what she did earlier--it was a beautiful ethereal moment.  Steven says Lauren took round 2.  JLo and Randy said Scotty.

For Round 3, the judges pick the song.

For Scotty it's "She Believes in Me" by Kenny Rogers.  Of course.  Pleasant is the best word to describe this performance.  I can imagine it playing on our Lite FM station while I'm sitting in the dentist chair.  Judges loved it and are proud of themselves for choosing the song.


Oh, by the way, they showed Beyonce's new video before this round started.  I wasn't paying attention though because I went to find out whose car alarm was going off non-stop.


The judges choose "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack.  I hope she does well because I hate this song.  I used to participate in an online message board where this song played automatically each time you opened the page.  I got so tired of it.  Lauren does a good job.  JLo got goosebumps and says Lauren already won this round.  Randy says Lee Ann is a good friend.  Of course she is, Randy.  She's IITWI.  In it to win it.  Steven said she walked out like she owned the Grand Ole Opry.  Oh, and what's this, Lee Ann's a good friend of Steven's too.  JLo is left out of the name dropping.   

And finally, Haley takes on "You Oughta Know" from Alanis Morrisette.  This is a family show judges!  For what it's worth, "Would she go down on you in a theater" was changed to "would she go out with you to the theater," which makes no sense after she just sang, "Is she perverted like me."  Her voice is perfect for this song.  For the chorus anyway.  She got a little low in the first verse.  Randy said those were amazing choruses, but Haley is IITWI!  ST said it was amazing.    JLo said it was a good job, and there's no one who can match her in how high she can go and how much power she puts behind her growl.  Steven said Haley won Round 3.  JLo said Lauren.  Randy agrees with JLo.

That's it.  My rankings:  Haley, Lauren, Scotty.  I better get on the phone!

*Oh, that movie quote from above?  Pretty Woman.

No comments: