4.06.2011

THIS. Is. American Idol.

The Top 9 are "rockin' it out" tonight, according to the Fox announcer.  I couldn't really hear what Ryan said for his intro because the music was too loud.  I know he said THIS. Is. American Idol, though.

Hey, the show's only 90 minutes this week, instead of 2 hours.  That's nice.  Gwen Stefani was brought in to style the ladies in her fashion line.  What do the guys get.

The theme for tonight is rock & roll.  The kids get to sing songs from those that have been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  As I told a friend of mine, that's pretty wide open...Scotty will be able to do ANOTHER country song, I'm sure.

Steven Tyler gives a rundown on the R&R HoF.  He's going through some costumes on exhibit.  When he gets to one of his outfits, he says, "What about this guy over here?  What kind of a freak would wear this [bleep]?"  Later he goes to a wax bust of himself, and says:


This is why I love Steven Tyler!

On to the show.

Jacob is first.  He said this week is hard for him because he's not a rock & roll guy.  They show him singing Let's Get It On in rehearsals...Jimmy Iovine said there would be a population explosion nine months later if Jacob sang that.  Jacob said he can't get on stage and sing something that's not him.  He said, "It's very blunt, and says, 'Let's do it.  Let's do the nasty.'"  Instead he chooses Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror.  Then he challenges America--"if I end up in the bottom three it won't be because I sang the song bad, it won't be because I sang the song wrong...it'll be because everybody in America wasn't ready to look at themselves in the mirror."  Um, okay Jacob.  Go with that.  Still, he did do a GREAT job.  Great song for him.  Siedah Garrett, who wrote the song, sang background for him.  Steven Tyler made the audience give it up for her.  He said, "Finest song that's ever been written!"  Judges loved it.

Haley's doing Janis Joplin's A Little Piece of My Heart.  She talks about how the judges have been throwing around Janis' name throughout the competition with her.  She said, "you want Janis, I'll give it to you."  Jimmy and will.i.am tell her she needs to feel the song.  PERFECT!  I loved it!  The judges were so right.  JLo said she's showing she's a contender.  Randy said this is the Haley they loved when they first saw her.  Steven said "I couldn't find nothin' wrong with that."  He said she took it up a few notches from Janis.

Casey's was originally going to sing Sting's Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, but Jimmy said he was turning it in to a rumba.  Instead he's singing Have You Ever Seen the Rain by CCR.  Love this song--it always makes me think of a day years ago when my dad was singing along with the radio..in a falsetto.  He sounded good. Casey's got his upright bass tonight and does a great job.  His voice is perfect for this song.  Judges love it and Randy likes that he's showing the bass isn't just for polkas or jazz. Steven said he's a true musician.  JLo said she'd pay top dollar to be in the front row of Casey's show.

Lauren's singing Aretha's Natural Woman.  Jimmy said it's magic when you combine r&b and country.  will.i.am, said you combine country and soul, you get c-o-u-n-t-r-o-u-l.  Har, har, har.  I like that Lauren can put a country spin on things without being so country, like Scotty is.  I guess I prefer cross-over.  She does a nice job with the song.  She's got a little soul in her.  Steven loved it...said she's all grown up.  JLo loved it too.  Randy said it's one of the most difficult songs, and though he wasn't jumping up and down, but she did a good job.  (He mentioned people in previous seasons who took on that song and "laid it out.")

James is next.  Before commercial, Ryan tells us that a "very different James Durbin" will be taking the stage.  James is slowing it down tonight with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by George Harrison.  As I've mentioned MANY times before, my favorite performance, probably ever, was when Prince performed this with Tom Petty and a bunch of others at a R&R HoF induction ceremony.  I was chatting with my friend Kerri earlier, hoping someone would do Prince tonight.  This will be close enough.  My favorite James performance yet.  He was totally channeling Adam Lambert tonight.  If his hair was black, they'd be twins.  Judges loved that he showed his tender side.  (He was tearing up by the end of the song.)

Scotty's next.  Will he venture out of his box?  He's doing That's All Right Mama by Elvis.  He says he's not doing Country Scotty.  We'll see. It's not his usual country, but it's bluegrassy--close enough.  I can't deny that he has a great voice, but he just doesn't do it for me.  Randy was excited about this new Scotty.  Steven agreed.  And so did JLo.  She liked that he had fun with it.

Pia's next, singing Tina Turner's River Deep Mountain High.  During rehearsals she's running all her words together, so it sounds like a jumbled mess. Hopefully she'll do it better live.  Eh.  Not really.  She's doing the exact same movements she does on her slow songs.  Nothing different.  She's no Tina Turner.  She's still gorgeous though, and her voice is great.  I'm just over her for this competition.  Steven said she killed it.  I disagree.  JLo said it was amazing, and she proved she can sing up tempo.  JLo recommended she study great performers like Tina Turner--she needs to get her performance into it.  She mentioned how Michael Jackson used to study Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.  Randy said all she needs to do now is work on the movement.  He added that Pia's in it to win it, which is about the 4th or 5th time he's said it tonight.

Stefano's taking on When a Man Loves a Woman by Percy Sledge.  Just hearing that he's doing this song, I already don't like it.  His voice is too high.  will.i.am tried to give him some performance tips.  My instincts were right.  I don't care for it.  He doesn't have any soul in his voice.  To me, he just sings without feeling, even though he does the facial expressions to make it look like he's feeling it.  I'm not sure if I'm describing that correctly, but I just wasn't feeling it.  I can't believe JLo used the word "amazing" to describe it.  Randy had more sense--he liked it, but didn't love it.  Steven liked it too.

Paul is up last.  He's singing Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues.  Jimmy says no one in history is cooler than Johnny Cash.  That's a lot of pressure.  At some point Paul asked if he should tone it down, and Jimmy and will.i.am were like NO!!!   Paul's best performance, methinks.  He was a lot of fun tonight.  Paul was awesome.  Randy loved it.  Steven said he loved it too.  And JLo too.

Wow...pretty good show tonight.

My top 3:  Haley, Casey, and James

Bottom:  Stefano  (I really only have one.)

The music gets loud again, so I have no idea what the banter with the judges at the end was about.  Nor do I care, really.  Til tomorrow...

No comments: