4.15.2011

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Jane EyreJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Delightful consciousness! It brought to life and light my whole nature; in his presence I thoroughly lived, and he lived in mine. ~Jane Eyre



I decided to read this when I saw that a new movie was coming out this spring. There was also a contest on Goodreads.com where you were to read the book, write a favorite quote, see the movie, and take a quiz about the book by April 10 for a chance to win an iPad. I just finished tonight, so missed the deadline (I kind of had it in mind that the deadline was April 30, but I never bothered to check. Anyway, despite all that, I'm so glad I read the book.

I'm 40 years old and this is my first time reading Jane Eyre. I never had to read it in school and didn't even know anything about the plot. I only knew what I'd gleaned from the movie previews--which wasn't much--and had no expectations whatsoever. I was drawn in right away, and even though it took me quite a while to read the 523 pages, I enjoyed it immensely. I love Jane's strong character, and Mr. Rochester's passion. I always had a clear mental image what was happening because Charlotte Brontë took such care to provide beautiful detail of each scene.

I loved it, and I'll be seeing the movie tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments: