3.02.2011

Ladies night

Tonight the top 12 girls perform.  I hope it's as good a show as it was last night.  We shall see.

Ryan introduces the judges.  JLo's wearing a silver sparkly toga with thigh-high silver boots.  Interesting...

I missed this last night, but the top 5 guys and the top 5 girls from this week, will fast track to the Top 10.  I like that change so things don't just drag on and on, but it makes me wish I'd called in some votes last night.

Time to introduce the girls.  So many of them have difficult names.  I had to turn on close captioning to see what Ryan's saying.  The top 12 girls are:

Ta-Tynisa Wilson
Naima Adedapo
Kendra Chantelle
Rachel Zevita
Karen Rodriguez
Lauren Turner
Ashthon Jones
Julie Zorrilla
Haley Reinhart
Thia Megia
Lauren Alaina
Pia Toscano

Just as the guys did last night, the girls will be singing the songs of their choice.

Ta-Tynisa is up first.  She's 30 seconds in and I already don't like her.  She's singing Rihanna's Only Girl (In the World).  The song is too big for her.  Her voice sounds weak.  Plus I don't like this song anyway, so that's not helping.  She's pitchy too. Ugh.  Oh my.  Was Steven listening?!  He said she sang the song beautifully.  WRONG Steven.  JLo said she started shaky, but she brought it all the way home.  WHAT?  I hope Randy saw things straight.  Yep.  He disagrees!  Thank goodness.  He thought she was just okay.

Naima is dressed in a yellow dress she designed...it's has an Asian flare.  She's singing Summertime.  Nice.  She has a really nice voice.  JLo told her she's like an exotic flower, and Naima says that's what her name means.  Randy said she didn't measure up to Fantasia's version, and said the second half was better than the first.  Steven said she was unbelievable. 

Kendra's next.  We learn that she used to sell bathtubs.  She's singing Impossible, by Christina Aguilera...and sounds amazing.  Very soulful voice.  Randy loved it...loved her vibratto...made him feel connected to her.  He really liked it.  Steven said she was hot...voice, clothes, the whole package.  JLo likes that she has heart.  JLo feels we're just scratching the surface with Kendra.

Rachel is wearing a black cape that she flings off.  She's singing a jazzy version of Fiona Apple's Criminal.  I don't care for her performance...I don't like the musical arrangement, and she seems lost in the song.   Mildly interesting that she has a chicken pox scar on the side of the bridge of her nose right where I have one.  Steven said it was too Broadway for her, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because maybe that's her niche.  JLo says she needs to decide who she wants to be.  Randy said it just didn't work.  I concur.

Karen is singing Mariah's Hero.  Risky.  Hmmm..mixing English and Spanish--¡muy interesante!  It was pleasing.  Didn't make me jump out of my seat, but it was nice.  She's a gorgeous girl.  JLo has goose bumps, and loved that she changed from English to Spanish.  Randy liked that she made it her own, and he thought the Spanish was better than the English--I agree with him about that.  Steven thinks she should sing with Jacob.  He loved it and thought she was fantastic.

Lauren T. is next with an Etta James tune, "Seven Day Fool."  (I had to look that up.)  I love her performance...great voice, great stage presence.  Randy said, "That's how you do it, man!"  He loved her power, and the bluesy, soul flavor.  Steven said it was spectacular.  JLo said her voice in undeniable, but wanted her to be more animated with the camera.

Ashthon,  the girl with one too many H's in her name, is up next.  She's singing another song I'll have to look up.  Seriously--can't they put that on the screen?  It's Love All Over Me by Monica.  Bad song choice...she sounds good though.  Steven said she has the confidence of a queen and she sings so sweet.  JLo said she has all the makings of a diva with the hair, body, and moves.  Ashthon responded, "I get it from you." Randy likes her and agrees with Steven & JLo, AND me, he didn't love the song.

Julie is up next.  Another beautiful girl. She sings Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway.  A little shaky at first, but then she did okay.  The band and backup singers kind of drowned her out though.  Her version isn't nearly as good as Kelly's.  No, I didn't care for it--she was off-key too much.  JLo didn't feel it was the best thing she's done.  Randy said she didn't sing it nearly as well as Kelly.  Me and Randy are seeing eye-to-eye this season.

Haley is singing Alicia Keys' Fallin'.  Another risk!  So far so good, though.  I love her!  First time I can say that tonight.  She's fantastic!  Uh-oh.  Forget what I just said about me and Randy.  He thought it was karaoke.  DISAGREE.  Steven liked it, said it was great.  JLo agreed with Steven.  JLo said she needs to get out of her head for a minute--JLo felt we could see her thinking about her movements as she was singing.

Thia...the tiny girl with the big voice.  She's singing my favorite song from Fame:  Irene Cara's Out Here on My Own.  God, this song makes me cry every single time I hear it...I don't know why.  Anyway, she did a great job.  Steven loved it.  JLo loved it.  Randy said she's got a beautiful tone to her voice, so it doesn't matter what she's singing or how old she is.  (She's only 15.) Time to pull out my Fame soundtrack, or better yet, maybe I'll watch the movie this weekend.

Lauren A. brings the us our country selection.  She's singing Turn on the Radio by Reba McEntire.  She's got a great voice and is fun to watch.  JLo loved it..said she's a natural.  Randy doesn't think Lauren knows how good she really is.  Randy says she's Kelly Clarkson meets Carrie Underwood.  Steven said we haven't seen the best of her yet.  Lauren has nicknamed Ryan, "Peaches," since they're both from Georgia.

And last but not least, Pia sings The Pretenders' I'll Stand By You.  She's great.  Beautiful voice.  Wow.  Randy points out that she got the first standing O of Season 10.  Randy said she put herself in the top with all the other amazing performances from seasons past.  Steven said, and I quote, "After Monday and Tuesday, even a week says WTF.  That was unbelievable.  That was so over the top.  You went from here to there.  That was gorgeous. Congrats."  JLo said it was out of this world.

OK.  This is difficult.  I have six favorites, but only five will make it through.

My Top 6 are:

Naima
Kendra
Lauren T.
Haley
Thia
Pia

Narrowing it to five, it'd be between Naima and Lauren T.

As for the guys, my Top 5 are:

Clint
Paul
Jacob
Casey
and hesitantly, Brett

After next week's performances I'll start putting my pool together.  Wish me luck!

Update:  OK, I looked into the Top 10 thing, and according to americanidol.com, "America will vote 5 guys and 5 girls into the finals, and the judges will round it out with their wild card picks."  I also found that the official Top 10 (those who will go on tour), will be announced March 24.  That's when the pool will start.

No comments: