2.01.2011

I finally finished a book.

I've been trying to tackle Cleopatra:  A Life by Stacy Schiff since before Christmas.  I'm having a hard time getting into it, and each time I pick it up, I have to go back a few pages for a refresher on all the names and places that are mentioned.  A friend of mine told me the book doesn't really pick up until about halfway and then it gets good, so I'm going to stick with it. Still, I always try to read at least one book a month, and on Saturday, I realized I only had two days to finish a January book.

I decided to read: 

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel ChristThe Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I liked this book, but I didn't love it.  The premise is great--Mary didn't just give birth to Jesus.  She had twins...one named Jesus, the other named Christ.  After Jesus meets John the Baptist and begins to preach draw a following, Christ follows in the shadows, taking notes and writing Jesus' story.  Some may find it blasphemous, but to me, it's an intriguing idea.  I felt that something was missing though.  When I read the book jacket,  I though the book would be humorous, and it was not.  I was expecting something more along the lines of Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff (which I loved). Still, the book is thought-provoking, and it's a quick read.  And hey, I met my goal of reading a book in January.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i'm so bad with those books that take a while to get going. i tend to skim over things and then i never do piece it all together. i really wish authors wouldn't do that. ;)

have you read little bee? really good one if you haven't-