1.09.2011

Shoulda gone with my gut.

I've been reluctant to see The Tourist. For one thing, I don't really care for Angeline Jolie, and for another, the previews just didn't look that interesting. I do like Johnny Depp though. I saw that both Johnny and Angelina were nominated for Golden Globes, and since I like to see as many nominees as I can, I figured, fine, I'll go see it.

Big mistake.

Man...talk about phoning it in. I do not understand why these two were nominated for this movie. I predicted the ending of the movie within the first ten minutes and then it just dragged and dragged. There was absolutely no chemistry between Angelina and Johnny. Angelina looked plastic like a mannequin much of the time, and Johnny Depp was just dull. Big disappointment.

Entertainment Weekly has a list of 25 movies to see before the Oscars, and I'm making my way through it. Here's the list...I've asterisked the movies that I've seen. (See how I turned asterisk into a verb?) EW says to start at the top and work your way down:

  1. The Social Network*
  2. The King's Speech*
  3. Inception
  4. The Fighter*
  5. Toy Story 3
  6. True Grit
  7. Black Swan*
  8. The Kids Are All Right*
  9. 127 Hours
  10. Winter's Bone
  11. The Town*
  12. Rabbit Hole
  13. Another Year
  14. Get Low*
  15. How to Train Your Dragon
  16. Blue Valentine
  17. Biutiful
  18. Animal Kingdom
  19. Waiting for "Superman"
  20. Alice in Wonderland
  21. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo*
  22. Inside Job
  23. The Illusionist
  24. Tangled
  25. Burlesque

Inception just arrived from Netflix, so I'll watch that soon. Tomorrow I'll see either 127 Hours or True Grit. Moving right along....

For what it's worth, I highly recommend The King's Speech and The Fighter. Loved them both.

1 comment:

Erika said...

The Tourist was given a really low score on rotten tomatoes (like, 23 or something). Mark wanted to go see it, but after I saw that score I was dragging my heels, figuring I could wait and see it on DVD. I don't always put huge stock in reviews, but when you have Angelina and Johnny (who usually are more entertaining in their films) in the same movie and RT gives it a low ranking (complaining of the same things you did), it gives me pause. Sorry it wasn't to your liking!
E