1.10.2011

New on Showtime

I watched William H. Macy's new show, Shameless, on Showtime last night, and love it already. Here's the plot summary that I pulled from IMDb:
Meet the fabulously dysfunctional Gallagher family. Dad's a drunk, Mom split long ago, eldest daughter Fiona tries to hold the family together. Eldest son Philip (Lip) trades his physics tutoring skills for sexual favors from neighborhood girls. Middle son Ian is gay. Youngest daughter Debbie is stealing money from her UNICEF collection. Ten-year-old Carl is a budding sociopath and an arsonist, and toddler Liam is - well, he might actually be black, but nobody has a clue how.
The family is so crazy, but what I love is that the show has so much heart. Each night, William H. Macy comes home drunk and passes out on the floor, and each night, his young daughter Debbie comes and puts a pillow under his head. It's kind of sad, but it's also sweet. When the older brother Lip figures out that the middle brother is gay, he just tries to get him to talk about it, which in its own way, lets Ian know that it's okay. Even though it's sad to see that the kids are growing up with a drunk father, it's also heartwarming to see how the eldest daugther take care of them all. The show is very well-written and the actors are great. I'll definitely be sticking with it.

Now, Matt LeBlanc's Episodes is another story. My dad told me about a terrible review he read about the show, but I decided to watch anyway to form my own opinion. I couldn't stay awake. Granted, it was 1 a.m. on a school night, but I figure if the show was any good, it would've kept my attention and kept me up for a half hour more. Don't worry--I'm not making my final decision based on that--it' just an observation. I'll try watching again tonight, at a normal hour, but if I fall asleep again, that's it!

No comments: