12.30.2010

Whoa... I saw Black Swan today.

A couple weeks ago, as I was leaving a movie theater, I overheard two women talking.  They had just seen Black Swan and one of them said, "That movie was fucked up!"  Well, I saw it today, and I can say that she was 100% correct.  Richard Roeper called it the "most whacked out art house movie you'll ever see," and I'd have to agree with him too.  

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

The movie is about Natalie Portman's character, Nina, a ballet dancer obsessed with perfection and with dancing the lead in her company's new production of Swan Lake.  She gives an outstanding performance, as does Mila Kunis, who plays a new dancer in the company, whom Nina feels is after her role.  Nina becomes quite paranoid and lost in her own mind.  I was on the edge of my seat most of the show, but became really confused about what was real and what wasn't.  I ultimately left the theater thinking, "What the?"  Just FYI, there are some pretty disturbing and bloody scenes in the movie--it's probably not for the faint of heart.   A lot of the movie feels like a horror film.  I wouldn't recommend this to folks who prefer the typical studio movie with a predictable plot and happy ending.

***END SPOILERS***

Enough about that.  I would like to change the subject and bring your attention to another blog you should be following.  It's called Catalog Living, and it's "A look into the exciting lives of the people who live in your catalogs."  The blog's creator has created the lives of Gary and Elaine based on photos from various catalogs.  It's hard to explain, so you'll just have to take a look at a couple of examples:

From the Hands of Babes
Going the Distance
Pining for Something

One last thing...if you find yourself in New York City any time soon, I highly recommend seeing La Cage aux Folles, currently starring Kelsey Grammer. HILARIOUS. And there's great music. I left there thinking that I need to buy the soundtrack, which is pretty much the highest praise I can give a show. We also saw Billy Elliott while in NY for the holidays, and while this show is visually a joy to watch, I didn't leave there with any tunes in my head, or the need to buy the music. I did leave thinking that I needed to see the movie again though, so that's on the agenda for the weekend.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

hmmm. sounds weird from all i've heard which isn't always bad, but this doesn't sound weirdly great.

i saw "rabbit hole" with nicole kidman and aaron eckert the other day- it was really good and not as depressing as it sounds. in fact, the general message is i think, that we go on with life..regardless.

and my brother told me the jim carrey movie "i love you phillip morris" is hilarious- i hadn't heard a thing about it but now i really wanna go see it. more than black swan!! :)

Valerie said...

Rabbit Hole is on my list...glad to hear it's not too depressing. I was worried about that. I also want to see Phillip Morris.

I love this time of year with all the great movies coming out.

As for Black Swan--the acting is great, the rest is just....crazy.