12.13.2010

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest BestiarySquirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is David Sedaris' collection of essays about animals with human characteristics--i.e., they talk, go to beauty salons, philosophize, are selfish, or are braggarts, etc. I have to admit there were a couple of essays that I didn't quite "get," but for the most part, I found myself laughing out loud at least once in each story. Not just a laugh-out-loud, actually--more like a snort because each time, the laugh was completely unexpected. You're just reading along and all of a sudden you see a baboon complain to a cat that she's grooming about how she hates dogs because they lick themselves and the cat defensively responding, "It's good to have a clean anus." Ha! (Okay, maybe you had to be there.) Anyway, David Sedaris is very clever, and I admire how he pulled these stories together.


View all my reviews

No comments: