12.06.2010

The Sing Off

I'm so happy that NBC brought "The Sing Off" back for another round. For those who don't know, the show is an a capella singing competition. It's a fun show and it's like watching Glee on stage. Judges are Ben Folds (as in Ben Folds Five), Nicole Scherzinger (from The Pussycat Dolls) and Shawn Stockman (Boys II Men). Nick Lachey is the host.

Ooh--the second group up tonight is called On the Rocks and did this performance of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance that I saw on YouTube several months ago:



They did Bad Romance on the show tonight too. Great performance.

I'm debating whether to do a rundown of the whole show or not. I guess I may as well introduce all the groups, though I don't know that I'll do a full run down each week. We'll see.

So, On the Rocks was 2nd up. First up was a high school group called Eleventh Hour. They did a nice rendition of Justin Bieber's Baby. They were cute because they compared themselves to The Breakfast Club, not because they met in detention, but because they're made up of an artist, jock, and honor roll student, a computer whiz, the homecoming queen, etc. They admitted that they probably wouldn't talk to each other at school if it weren't for the love of a capella music.

Next is Groove for Thought which has a jazzy sound. Four of the group are teachers. And then one guys' daughter joined the group as a lead singer. Tonight they perform Stevie Wonder's I Wish. They remind me of Manhattan Transfer. Nice sound.

Pitch Slapped is next. They're a bunch of musicians from The Berkeley College of Music in Boston, which we hear is the #1 contemporary music school in the world. They sing Good Girls Go Bad by Cobra Starship. This group's "percussion" was great--it's hard to believe there wasn't a drummer on the stage with them. Instead, they had someone beat boxing.

Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town come next. They're the seniors of the show's cast. Jerry Lawson says he's been singing for 61 years, and he was part of a group called The Persuasions. He fell on hard times, and then he found Talk of the Town and started singing with them. The group had been singing Persuasions' songs for thirty years and then a guy from the Persuasions actually joins their group. How cool is that? Tonight they sing The Drifters' Save the Last Dance. They ended with a little cha-cha-cha hip shake. Cute. I really enjoyed them. Ben Folds mentions that Doc Pomus wrote the song, he was in a wheelchair from polio, and he wrote the song for his wife, who could dance. Very poignant.

So, we've seen the first five groups. The judges only get to keep four. Of the four, I'd say that I would let Pitch Slapped go. The judges agreed with me. Pitch Slapped is going home. They perform their "Swan Song" which was Kiss Him Goodbye (they substituted "us" for "him") - otherwise known as "Nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye."

Time for the second half of the show.

The first group in this half is called The Whiffenpoofs from Yale University. The original group was founded in 1909. One of the guys very arrogantly announces that The Whiffenpoofs were the first a capella group in history--"we invented it." Since 1909, the group has performed in white tie and tails, and the guys tonight do the same thing. They perform Mika's Grace Kelly. I wasn't familiar with that song, but they were good. I didn't want to like them, but I liked the lead singer. HA! Shawn Stockman called out the arrogant dude from earlier. He said, "Stefan, I would like to thank you, and the Whiffenpoofs for inventing a capella. We would not be here if it wasn't for you. And we appreciate you gracing us with your presence."

Next is Men of Note. They like to go to the mall and literally "serenade the ladies." A little creepy, but also kind of sweet. I'm trying to imagine walking through the mall when a group of eight guys starts following me while singing doo-wop. They sing Billy Joel's For the Longest Time. Nice job--maybe a little dull. Hmmm...Shawn says that he and Boyz II Men used to do the same thing to girls at the mall.

Street Corner Symphony hails from Nashville, TN. They mix bluegrass and southern gospel into their sound. One guy said they like to "un-practice," which means they get together, they don't sing, and they drink beer. Love it. They sing Tears for Fears' Everybody Wants to Rule the World. I love their performance--mostly because of how they broke it down at the bridge. (Though Ben Folds didn't care for the cymbal sound they put in at that part--it's what I loved. Oh well...what do I know?)

Next is The Back Beats. Their group is a mixture of various rival a capella groups. Two of the girls performed in a group on the show last season. They sing Beyoncé's If I Were a Boy. I don't like this song much, but this group did a good job. The lead female's voice was fantastic.

And finally, we have Committed is next. They're committed to God, their music, and each other. They've got the gospel sound going on, and they're new to singing Top 40 music. They sing Maroon 5's This Love and they were awesome! I think Adam Levine would be proud. The judges loved them. Nicole said that Shawn was having a "musical orgasm" during the performance.

Time for the judges to choose four more teams to move forward. My vote is for all but Men of Note. And again, the judges agreed with me. Thanks judges.

For their Swan Song, Men of Note sing Rihanna's Take a Bow.

Good show. The next episode is on Wednesday. Yay!

2 comments:

Kerri said...

oh, so good!! love this show. and i love that it only runs 2 times a week for 3 weeks so i can devour it, but it doesn't take over my life for too long. american idol should take note on that...

Valerie said...

Amen to that! Are you going to watch Idol this go around? I already declared that I wasn't going to, but then my friend asked if I'm curious to see the changes. Well, I am....but I dhn't know if I want to be sucked in again!