11.28.2010

Morning Glory

My sister and I saw Morning Glory yesterday.  It stars Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton as the executive producer (Rachel McAdams) and hosts of a morning show ala The Today Show, called Daybreak.  I don't think there are spoilers here because you pretty much get the gist of the whole thing from the previews, but just in case, here's heads' up that I'm discussing some plot points here:

***possible spoiler***

Rachel McAdams is the new executive producer of the show who's working to save the show from its ratings slump.   I think they could have done a lot more with the plot.  Harrison Ford plays an experienced newscaster, like Dan Rather, who's reduced to having to host the morning show.  He feels it's beneath him, and in Rachel McAdam's attempts to raise ratings, she creates a show that *IS* beneath him, in my opinion.  Instead of adding more and more zany antics to the morning show, I would've preferred to see Rachel's character add a new dimension to the show with a reliable and interesting news show that's enhanced by the entertainment stories, rather than focusing on those the whole time.  Everything she added to the morning show is what I've come to hate about The Today Show in real life.  (On The Today Show, after the first 15 minutes or so, where they cover the news headlines, it becomes mostly 3 hours and 45 minutes of sensationalistic nonsense.

***end spoiler***

So, while the movie is mildly enjoyable, it is not great by any means.  On one of the commercials, they compare it to The Devil Wears Prada.  Wrong.  It's nowhere close to TDWP.  I'd be upset if I paid full price for it.  (Thank god for Entertainment coupons!) I wouldn't recommend you pay full price for this movie, but if you can see a cheap matinee, or have some sort of coupon, it'd be okay.  Maybe even better to wait for video.

No comments: