11.14.2010

Clearing out the cobwebs

It's been a long time since my last post. In that time I've turned 40! YIKES! Thankfully, I've had several people tell me over the past week that I don't LOOK 40. Good...I'll do my best to keep it that way. I had a wonderful birthday...different celebrations with different people. I'll tell the story soon about the biggest surprise of the weekend--my friends treated me to a "Dolphin Encounter" at Baltimore's National Aquarium. As I said to a friend last night, "What did you do today? I played with dolphins." When I get the pictures from my friends, I'll dedicate a post to the events of that day...it was a lot of fun and something I'll never forget.

So, I'm sitting here watching Oprah, and have been meaning to mention that although she still gets on my nerves, a LOT, I still record her show every day, just in case there's something interesting, and this season, plenty of shows have fit the bill. I really enjoyed the one last week about teenage heartthrobs, and last week, the show with Phil Donahue, Geraldo Rivera, Ricki Lake, Sally Jessie Raphael, and Montel Jordan was a lot of fun. This week, the cast of The Color Purple will be reunited--I'm looking forward to that. I think she's going out in style in her last season, and I do wonder what it will be like without this show.

In other news, I sawDue Date on Friday. Eh. I love Robert Downey, Jr. and enjoyed watching him on the screen. There were plenty of funny scenes, but unfortunately, most I'd already seen in the previews. There was a gentleman in the theater who kept laughing boisterously at the jokes and site gags, as if they were the funniest things he'd ever seen and heard, but for me, that just called attention to the fact that most of the movie was not THAT funny. I'd recommend saving this one for video.

I guess that's it for now. I hope to be around here more regularly now that things have settled down. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Kerri said...

yay!! i've missed your posts a lot, val.

i LOVED the oprah color purple episode and want to see that movie again now. it's been years. can't believe it's the 25th anniversary?!!

well, 40 isn't old! so when people say that, "you don't look 40" (in my case, 41) it almost feels offensive to me. like i look good for someone of my old age. but 40 is NOT old. and it's all relative, isn't it. my 89 year old neighbor thinks i'm a baby. anyway, i digress because what i really meant to say was
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
welcome to the 40s!

Valerie said...

Kerri, I put The Color Purple on my Netflix queue...I saw the Broadway show a couple years ago, but haven't seen the movie in a long, long time. I agree--Oprah's show was great.

Thanks for the b-day greetings!