10.02.2010

Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

Love Is a Mix TapeLove Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed this book. I read a few pages while at the book store and told my friend, "I love this book, I have to get it." It's a memoir about the author's tragic loss of his wife, told through his experience with music. It's a sad story, but I also laughed and reminisced about my own days of creating mix tapes The book reminded me a lot of Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity," one of my favorites. I came across many beautiful passages as I was reading, though, I didn't think to make note of them until I was about 3/4 of the way through. I'll have to read it again to find them all. I found this particularly moving: "When I started feeling morbid and empty, I felt like I was turning into a different person from the guy she fell in love with. I had no voice to talk because she was my whole language."

I look forward to reading Rob Sheffield's second book, "Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut" which is about music from the 80's.

No comments: