9.01.2010

Revolt against Youth in Revolt

Kinda stealing that title from a review that Gene Shalit did years ago for Far and Away. He said, "Stay far and away from Far and Away." While you're at it, stay far and away from Youth in Revolt too.

Ay yi yi. As I sat here and watched this movie, I often felt compelled to just stop the DVD and forget about it. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did.

I'm a huge fan of Michael Cera, but in this movie, he played the same character that I've seen him play his whole career, starting with Arrested Development, and also in Juno and Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist , and it just seems he played it one time too many. The only difference is that here, his character has a rebellious, bad-boy alter ego, also played by Cera. He did a decent job stepping outside of his box, but not well enough to redeem the movie.

Beyond the fact that the movie was slow, the characters unlikeable, and moments that were supposed to be funny, weren't, what drove me most crazy with this movie was the constant, monotone drone that every single character spoke in. It was like fingernails slowly dragging across a chalkboard for 90 minutes.

Definitely feeling disappointed tonight.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

thanks for saving me 90 minutes of my life- i'll skip this one...