9.21.2010

First reviews...

Watched a couple of new shows last night.  One was good, one not so good.  Also, before the new lineup even started, I already decided to drop The Event.  Hank Steuver gave it a terrible review in the Washington Post, and I tend to agree with his reviews, so I skipped it.  A friend of mine confirmed later that I made the right decision--he said it was horrible. 

But I did watch Lone Star and really enjoyed it.  The main character is a con man who leads a double life and is trying to go straight.  He's played by James Wolk who is cute and charming and I just love his crooked grin.  Adrianne Palicki (Tyra from Friday Night Lights) plays the wife in the "straight" life--good to see her again.  I really missed her on FNL.  I look forward to seeing this again next week.

The other show I watched was Mike & Molly.  I was looking foward to this because I love the lead actress, Melissa McCarthy.  The show is about the romance between a guy and a girl who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting.  Right before I watched it on Tivo, my dad called to say he was watching it and was laughing so hard that he was crying.  Well, let's just say he kinda oversold it a bit.  I never laughed to that point, and only chuckled a couple of times.  Something must've struck my dad's funny bone, but it couldn't have been this show.

With great comedies like Modern Family, The Office, and The Middle, I'm finding that I just can't stand a laugh track any more.  Funny should stand on its own.  I shouldn't need a cue to laugh.  The laugh track on Mike & Molly makes the bad jokes seem even worse.  To put it more succinctly, my sister sent me an email that said, "just watched it. hated it. don't think i'll be watching."

I also watched the return of How I Met Your Mother, which I enjoy, even though each new season, I wonder how much longer they can hold out on revealing who Mom is.  The narrator has been telling his kids this story for FIVE years now.  Come on.  That's not to say that I don't love the show.  I really do.  I just don't think the original premise can last that much longer.

I have Hawaii Five-0 on Tivo and I'll try to watch tonight.  Same friend who said that The Event was horrible, also said that Hawaii Five-0 exhibits how a pilot episode should be done, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

i really like that girl on mike and molly too- from samantha who?
so, i watched it too, and was disappointed. but you know, sometimes the pilots aren't great, but the show gets better...

i thought of you today- the new maroon 5 cd came out- bought it at target for just $9.99! have you gotten a copy yet?