8.09.2010

My crush continues


On Saturday I went with my sister and friends to an outdoor music festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. (Interesting tidbit: the actor Ed Norton's grandfather designed this planned city.)

The other day I wrote about Janelle Monáe's performance on So You Think You Can Dance, and didn't even realize I'd be seeing her perform live a few days later at the music fest. Other performers were B.o.B., Common, Chuck Brown, The Roots, and Erykah Badu.

Janelle Monáe and B.o.B. got themselves some new fans after their performances. Janelle went first, and the B.o.B. Both were great, and I've already downloaded their albums from iTunes. I've listened to each once, and my first impression is that I like them both, but really like B.o.B's a lot.

Next came the best part of the day: COMMON!! I just love this man. The best part of his set (besides just him being on stage), was his ode to old school hip-hop. He did a great medley, and the whole crowd knew all the words.


Hey, Val!  I see you up there.


Chuck Brown was up next. For those who don't know, he's a D.C. legend--the Godfather of Go-Go. He's 74 years old and still going strong. This clip's from the show, and since we were in the lawn, this is about the view we had. Thank goodness for big screens!




The Roots were next--love them!!! After their set, we were commenting about what a great show it'd been, and we were so glad we came, etc. And then...out came Erykah Badu. It's never good when people start leaving the venue during the headliner's performance. She did some strange stuff, I guess from her current album, and then, thankfully, she went back to some of her old stuff. And THEN, Common came back out again and performed with her. Woo-hoo!! I'm glad we didn't leave early. She ended on a high note, but didn't do the songs we wanted to hear, namely, "Tyrone" and "Bag Lady."

Overall, it was a great day, I'm still in love with Common, and I can't wait for our next outing, whatever it may be.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

great speech bubble! :)