8.06.2010

How old am I?

Over the last few years, I'm sure you've noticed that more and more foul or inappropriate language is creeping into TV shows and onto the radio.  Tonight I'm watching Bethenny Getting Married? where she mentions "swinging d*cks," p***y, and schlongs.

A couple weeks ago on Work of Art, the artists were tasked with creating "shocking" art.  In the process, one guy, ahem, how should I put this?  He pleasured himself and left the "remains" on his piece.  Someone else painted a picture of a guy sucking himself off.  [Geez, what kinds of hits am I going to get with this language?]  Anyway, I found that the art wasn't shocking, but the language on the show was!  They actually said the words, "sucking himself off" ON TV!  *GASP!*

On TNT and FX shows like The Closer, Saving Grace, Damages, and Louie they say "sh*t" all the time.  That's not too bad, but Louie CK was talking about anal sex the other night, in pretty graphic terms.  At least his show doesn't come on until 11 p.m. 

So then I started thinking that what really annoys me is the fact that I'm bothered by any of this in the first place.  I'm sure it's a sign of my aging. I'm thinking and talking the way my mom did about rap music when it first came out in the 80s.  Back then, I couldn't understand why she was so opposed.  Moooommmmm...it's just words!   Now look at me.  It's "just words" on these TV shows, so why do I cringe when I hear them?  I'm not a prude or anything, but I'm just not getting used to this trend.

On the other hand, my sister and I were listening to Ryan Seacrest on the radio recently.  He was interviewing Maroon 5's Adam Levine, and told Adam his latest video is a lot of fun because Adam gets his a[beep]s beaten.  I told Deb, "They bleeped ASS?  What's up with that?"

So, maybe not all is lost.

3 comments:

Bali villas said...

I enjoyed reading your posts.You shared information that is valuable to me and some other readers. Keep posting as I will be visiting this page from now on

Valerie said...

Welcome, and thanks for reading!

Kerri said...

omg- the thing about "work of art"- i only watched the first one and haven't watched it since-

ii think your post is so funny!

i'm that way about music played on the radio- i can remember mom saying, "this isn't music!" and now i find myself saying the same thing!!