8.21.2010

And the Oscar goes to...

I realize it's only August, and that the typical Oscar-hopeful movies won't really start for another couple of months, but I'm pretty sure I just saw the Oscar-winning performance for Best Actor: Robert Duvall in Get Low. What a quiet, charming movie. Robert Duvall has a monologue toward the end that had me riveted. Halfway through his monologue, I was thinking, give this man his Oscar now. Wow. Fantastic performance. Also great were Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray. The movie takes place in the 1930s and is about an old codger who comes out of his hermit lifestyle to plan his funeral party, which he wishes to hold while he's still alive. Great flick.

I just read on IMDb that the movie is "spun out of equal parts folk tale, fable and real-life legend about the mysterious, 1930s Tennessee hermit who famously threw his own rollicking funeral party." Well, that's interesting. I'll have to do some research into this legend.

I definitely recommend this movie to everyone.

Now, a gripe. The friggin' AMC theater closest to my house is charging $11 regular price, and $10 for senior citizens. Thank goodness my mom bought us all those Entertainment Books for Christmas. With those coupons, the tickets were $7.50. Really? $10 for seniors? That's ridiculous. I can tell you this--I won't be seeing a movie at that theater without a coupon. Sheesh.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

yes- going to the movies is getting a little expensive- and you're not even factoring in the essentials to go along with it-- the popcorn!?? which is about the price of a meal. somebody who works at one of the angelika theatres told me they make ALL of the $ at the concessions and not any from the movie tickets?!!

i haven't even heard of "get low" so i am so glad you mentioned it! i'll have to seen where it's showing here.