6.25.2010

Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits - according to me

Photo of graffiti on 7th Ave between 28th and 29th streets, New York City


It's hard to believe it's been one year since Michael Jackson's passing. To mark the anniversary, the Washington Post issued a challenge:
Here are the rules: Ten songs. Solo material only. No Jackson 5 stuff. And as difficult as it is to type these words, no "Blame it on the Boogie."
Limiting the list to 10 songs is really difficult, but here's my Top 10 (in no particular order):
  • Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
  • Rock with You
  • She's Out of My Life
  • Billie Jean
  • PYT (Pretty Young Thing)
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Man in the Mirror
  • Smooth Criminal
  • Remember the Time
  • You Rock My World
I also considered Thriller and Beat It, but for me, it's all about the videos with those two songs.

So, whaddya think? Anyone else want to put a list together?

3 comments:

Erika said...

Not sure what my top ten would be, but I think "Off the Wall" "Jam" and Will You Be There?/ Keep the Faith" are among my favorites. I have this memory of a guy who lived in my dorm freshman year singing an a capella version of Off the Wall and hitting the falsetto notes really well, Jam was a song frequently used as a warm up in a jazz dance class I took for a PE credit my sophomore year of college, and Will You Be There and Keep the Faith are together because after my paternal grandmother died about a month before I was going to graduate college, I walked around campus for what felt like hours listening to the "Dangerous" tape (yes, tape, I didn't have a portable CD player in 1995) and I kept rewinding and playing those two songs (they're back to back on the album) over and over again. It was a bit neurotic, and afterwards I realized I had probably experienced a bit of a breakdown, but it made me feel better and still mournful at the same time. So, those songs I listed aren't necessarily my faves, but maybe more along the lines of songs that resonate for one reason or another?

Erika said...

And then there's also "(Keep It )In The Closet"...

Valerie said...

All good choices! Ugh--I totally forgot about Will You Be There. But, if I were to add it, I don't know what I'd take away. Maybe You Rock My World...

That's a poignant story about the Dangerous songs...those will always be meaningful to you.

When I broke up with my ex, Mariah Carey's Butterfly album had just come out. Most of the songs were breakup songs (it was right after she'd broken up with Tommy Motolla (sp?)). I listened to it CONSTANTLY for weeks. Talk about wallowing in it. Thankfully, I can still listen to the album without feeling any remorse or sadness, but at the time, man...it actually helped a lot. It's still my favorite Mariah album.