6.27.2010

Get thee to see Cyrus

Deb and I saw indie film Cyrus tonight, and really enjoyed it. It stars John C. Reilly, Marisa Tomei and Jonah Hill. John C. Reilly plays John, a divorced, lonely guy. After his ex-wife, played by Catherine Keener, announces that she's getting remarried, she invites him to a party in hopes that he'll get out of the house and interact with people, and talk to women. At the party, he meets Marisa Tomei's character, Molly, and the two connect right away.

All's well and good until John meets Molly's overly dependent 21-year-old son, Cyrus, played by Jonah Hill. Molly and Cyrus' relationship is very close--uncomfortably close, and John starts to wonder about it. The three become involved in a strange sort of triangle, with John and Cyrus fighting for Molly's attention.

John gets himself into many awkward moments at which I laughed, and at the same time felt a little uneasy. Jonah Hill did a great job as Cyrus--he's creepy and you're often wondering, where is this guy coming from? One review I read pointed out that it's good to see Jonah Hill in a non-raunchy role...I agree with this wholeheartedly. Marisa Tomei is great too...I've always loved her.

As an aside, I don't know how I can research this, but I'm pretty sure she wore a dress in this movie that she wore in The Wrestler. I'm not even sure how or why I'd notice a detail like that. I'll have to see The Wrestler again to see if I'm right.  This is the dress I'm talking about:


Anyway, Cyrus is funny, has great performances, and was well worth my ten bucks.

No comments: