5.31.2010

You gotta know when to stop

Now that I'm nearing 40 years old, I've come to recognize the point when I'm drinking that if I have One More Drink, I'll be sick, and will probably wake up with a hangover the next day.

It's not a great analogy, but I think the writers and producers of Sex & the City need to learn the same lesson. They should've stopped at the first movie and left well enough alone.

I saw SATC2 last night and was really disappointed. The jokes were dumb, the movie was way too long, and there just wasn't enough...I dunno, I guess, depth in the story. Michael Patrick King tried too hard for the laughs. There were so many one-liners...I could almost hear the bah-dum-bump rimshot with each one, and 90% of the time, the jokes just weren't that funny.

During the first movie, my emotions ran the gamut from laughter to tears and back again. I felt closure, and I felt satisfied. During the second movie, I found myself groaning a lot, and just felt let down when I left the theater.

I just checked IMDb and see I'm not alone. Voters have given SATC2 3.5 out of 10 stars. Entertainment Weekly gave it a C-. Not great.

Now, I talked to my sister this morning, who had heard all the negative reviews and went into the movie not expecting much. Her expectations were so low, she ended up actually enjoying it. I don't read reviews before I see a movie, so my expectations were probably a little higher, and I was disappointed.

Fortunately, when I got home from the movie, the original SATC movie was on HBO. I watched that and felt satisfied, once again.

3 comments:

Erika said...

I had heard that the movie wasn't very good. I think I've decided to wait till it's on cable. Sorry the movie wasn't worth it. :(

Jeanene said...

I completely agree with you. I found myself actually bored at some points, and even checked my watch. It didn't feel authentic to the show. It felt like one of those bad sit-com episodes where the family goes on vacations and gets involved in some sort of "caper." So cliche!

Kerri said...

i'm in the same boat as your sister. i had read all the bad reviews and went into it expecting very little. so, altho i agree with you that it didn't measure up at all to the great series, or even the last movie, i was still pretty happily entertained. loved Big, who is now John I guess. Lots of great clothes to look at. But yes... I agree with you on lots of points you made.

So, when's you're bday?