5.17.2010

Okay, so sometimes I'm a movie snob

Just a few things:
  • On Sunday, my dad and I went to see Swedish film, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It was great. Even better than the book, methinks. When I read the book, I found there was a certain storyline I didn't care for--I found it dull and it took away from the rest of the action. The rest of the story, however, was just fascinating. Well, whoever wrote the screenplay for the movie took care of that for me--the boring parts were only glanced over briefly, and the plot focused on the part of the book that I loved. The movie was PERFECTLY cast. I can't imagine anyone else playing those characters. Which brings me to my next item:

  • They're making an American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, due in 2012. This bothers me because the original was so good. I checked IMDb and it lists Brad Pitt as being rumored to play the male lead, and sweet Carey Mulligan is rumored to play the female lead. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't think either of them are right for the lead roles. I hope the rumors aren't true. Also rumored to be in the movie are George Clooney and Johnny Depp. Of these three men, if I had to choose anyone to play Mikael (Amercianized "Michael") it would be Clooney, I guess. I dunno. I just feel like they should leave well enough alone. Which reminds me:

  • I'll probably wait to see Chris Rock's Death at a Funeral on DVD. One, the original British film was so great, I hate to see it messed with, and two, I really, really, really don't care for Martin Lawrence OR Tracy Morgan, and to have them BOTH in one movie is just too much for me.

  • And finally, to tie this all together, back in 2003, Stephen Hunter wrote a review of the French film, Jet Lag,--starring Juliette Binoche and Jean Reno--for the Washington Post It's my favorite movie review ever. The movie is about two lost souls who meet in an airport. Simple, but lovely. In his review, Stephen Hunter sarcastically writes about how he can't wait for the American version of this film to be made.
    I see Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline, re-creating that wonderful magic from "French Kiss," in the roles now played with too much weariness by French no-names Juliette Binoche and Jean Reno. It'll be shot, of course, at LAX instead of Charles [De Gaulle], and she'll be a management consultant instead of a beautician and he'll be a harried, heroic bond trader instead of a chef. Oh, that'll be so much better.
    He then goes on to talk about how French films have subtext, while American films have subplot. He continues:
    For our rewrite, I'm suggesting a cutting-edge subplot with rap star Mos Def as the pilot of one of the planes on the runway in the background and Christina Aguilera as his sassy flight attendant! We then cut back and forth between Kevin and Meg on the ground and Mos and Christina in the air...."
All of that plot re-creation is what I fear for Death at a Funeral, and even more for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I hope the filmmakers prove me wrong.

1 comment:

Allyssa said...

I thought this exact same thing about Death at a Funeral. It was so good...why would you need to remake it? Of course, its obviously for a different audience now, but I'm wondering if all the crazy over-the-top jokes will really add to the plot.