4.20.2010

Top 7 perform

Quick post tonight--I've got to get to bed. (Famous last words, right? Whenever I declare a short message is on the way, they end of being really long. I apologize in advance.)

Alicia Keys is the mentor this week, and the contestants are singing inspirational songs--in honor of Idol Gives Back week.

Casey sings "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac. Not my favorite song...got burned out on it during the Clinton years, I think. Casey does okay, but it's not his best. Bad song choice. Judges agree--they want to see something different from him.

Lee sings Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer." Lee did a nice job with this song. Unfortunately, he had a lot of saliva while he was singing and it was kind of gross to watch. Nevertheless, he sounded great. Simon said it was the best of night, even though we're only two in. He called it "absolutely brilliant."

Tim's doing "Better Days" by the Goo Goo Dolls. He's pitchy--I think the register started too low. It was not a very good performance. Judges didn't care for it, but Simon said he's improved over the weeks, though this performance was a bit of a let down.

Little Aaron's singing a song he's been singing since the age of five. "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly. Ugh. I hate this song. (Okay, a caveat--the song's not that bad, but I really hate R. Kelly.) Aaron's voice sounds too weak for the song. Eh. Didn't do much for me. Judges disagreed with me and went on and on about his big voice. Oh well. Except for Simon who said it wasn't very good, and would have changed the station if he heard it on the radio.

Siobhan's singing "When You Believe" by Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey. I'm nervous about this one. She looks really pretty tonight. She sounded much better tonight than she has the last couple of weeks. Good job! Judges thought it was the wrong song. Ellen liked it though. Note: I called in for Siobhan and her line was busy, busy, busy. I hope that's good news for her tomorrow.

Big Mike's doing "Hero" by Nickelback. Mike did a nice job--his voice sounded great on that song. Kara didn't like it. Simon said he sang it well, but it sounded artificial (ostensibly because it made Simon think of Spiderman.)

Crystal's singing "People Get Ready" by The Impressions. She looks beautiful. No guitar tonight, and she started off a cappella and sounded amazing! She did a fantastic job with the whole song, and wow--ended in tears. Very moving. Randy gave her a standing "O." Simon said, "Now that was inspirational." As Kara said, she schooled the rest of the contestants. I agree with Simon that her performance was in a completely different class than what we heard the rest of the night.

7. Aaron
6. Tim
5. Casey
4. Siobhan
3. Mike
2. Lee
___________________

1. Crystal

Tomorrow Idol gives back. The show starts at 8, and Ryan announced that it will probably go long, so set your DVRs accordingly. Should be a good show.

No comments: