4.18.2010

Random thoughts and info

Here are a few things I've been meaning to mention:
  • Long ago I rented Fellini's La Dolce Vita from Netflix. It's too embarrassing to say how long ago...let's just say I paid a lot of money for that rental. (It's also been long enough for me to forget why I rented it in the first place. I probably heard it was some great piece of film making, but I don't know from where.) Anyway, I ended La Dolce Vita thinking, "Wha?" Then I read some history on it and it made much more sense. I can now see how it's considered a great film due to structure, symbolism, controversy, filming, casting, etc. But on it's own, without that background data, it's kinda weird. Alexander Payne (the director from Omaha who made "Election") did an intro to the DVD and he said this was Fellini's last film of "neo-realism" (whatever that means) before he got into the really avant-garde stuff. That's kind of hard to believe, because this one's a bit strange too.

  • Why is the Brawny man singing to me in commercials? I really hate those commercials.

  • I watched HBO's new series Treme last week and am already so intrigued by it. I think it's going to be a great series. There was a "making of" special on today that was really interesting. I think it helps that I was in New Orleans last year. There's a musician in the show--playing himself--named Kermit Ruffins. I got to see him and his band perform while there. On the making of show, they showed a dive diner called Mother's, where we had breakfast one morning. I have Creole ancestry on my dad's side of the family, so I think that increases my interest too. The show has a great cast, great music, great story. After airing the pilot episode, HBO announced they were picking Treme up for a second season. I take that to be good news.

  • Will someone please tell the powers that be that Preston's mustache on Desperate Housewives looks ridiculous?
Okay, that's all I've got, for now.

No comments: