3.23.2010

Top 11 perform on Idol

Miley Cyrus is the "mentor" tonight. She's 17. I think there's only one contestant younger than her. Oh well. BUT....maybe this makes more sense than some of the old fogies mentoring them. Maybe they can relate to her better--at least they will have heard of her.

Let's get on with it. Tonight the contestants are singing Billboard #1's.

Lee comes out with a swinging version of "The Letter" by the Box Tops. I wasn't sure at first, but I liked it. He's trying to work on his stage presence this week, and I think there's been a huge improvement. Love his voice. Three out of four judges liked it a lot. Guess who didn't? Simon said it wasn't a "recordable song."

Paige - "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins. (Hey! I just saw him on the news last night--Genesis was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.) No. Not good. (That was based on the first couple of verses, and then it just got worse....yikes.) I MUST quote Randy tonight:
Uh...yo...man...yo, wow. Uhhh...really, honestly, I don't know if your voice is back or whatever's happening, but that was honestly terrible. It was terrible. Really. Honestly. It was really...and, I don't know...I-I-I don't even know. I mean...whoa. There was nothing about it that was great. There were pitches all over the place. Nothing came together, at all. I don't know. And I know you're probably better than that, so maybe you don't have your voice back or something, I don't know, man, but it was terrible.
Tim - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen. Upon hearing that's what he's singing, I already think it's a bad song choice. Maybe he'll prove me wrong. Well, he sounds okay, and he did some sort of slide across the stage, so it was fine, but you can see he's trying really hard--he doesn't seem comfortable playing to the ladies in front. He sang much better than Paige, though. Randy said the "dopest thing you did was the slide, man." Ellen said it was corny & pushed too hard. Simon said it was pointless and silly. And, he's surprised it was a #1 record in the first place.

Aaron - admits he has a crush on Miley. She's only about 5 inches taller than him. Cute. Anyway, he's singing, "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith. I think he did a good job tonight--best he's done so far, IMO. (Thus far, I haven't been much of a fan.) He sang through laryngitis & tonsillitis, so, good for him. Kara thought it was the best song choice of the night (so far). Ha! Ryan said, "If you want to vote for David Archuleta, here...."

Crystal - "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin. Loved it!!! Love her. And she looks great tonight. I had to rewind and watch again before hearing the judges. Ellen & Kara told her to "let go" a little more, and Simon comes along and says, "I wouldn't change a thing."

Mike - "When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge. Nice job. But, Simon said it was just too much--like you wanted one scoop of ice cream and got 11 scoops.

Andrew - "I Heard It through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye. Uh-oh. He forgot the lyrics while singing to Miley. Oops. Miley suggested he perform without the guitar--I think that was a mistake. He didn't know what to do with his arm. His vocals were okay, but I didn't love it. He peaked during auditions and still hasn't measured up to that. I'm so sad.... Judges didn't like it. Kara said the motions with his hands looked like he was a puppet.

Katie - "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie. Judging from her trial with Miley, this isn't going to be great. It's not. Her voice during the first verse was okay, but when she got to the chorus, no me gusta. There's something about her voice that's grating. Kind of like Shakira. Like fingernails on a chalkboard, to me. The judges liked it. Simon still thinks she should try country.

Casey - "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis & the News. Hmm...that's an odd choice. He sounds great though! Again...3 out of 4 judges liked it. Kara said he's ready to make an album, but Simon said it was like listening to an 80's cover band.

Didi - "You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt*. I find it interesting that a singer/musician can have no rhythm. Shouldn't a guitar/piano player be able to find the beat? Anyway, Didi is good in moments, then really off key in others. She has a hard time with consistency. (Kind of like my bowling game.) Randy said she never had the pitch right. Ellen didn't like the song choice. Kara felt she was playing a character. And, Simon says, "there's a certain irony in your screeching out 'you're no good, you're no good, you're no good,' over and over again." (ha!)

Siobhan - "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. This wasn't my favorite of hers, but I still liked it. Ellen & Randy loved it. Kara did too, I guess, but Simon thinks she needs to change it up a bit.

If I had to rate tonight's performances:

11. Paige
10. Didi
9. Tim
8. Katie
7. Andrew
6. Mike (in the playback at the end, this didn't sound good)
5. Aaron
4. Casey
3. Siobhan
2. Lee
1. Crystal

Thoughts?

BTW, Miley did a good job--she gave some good constructive criticism.

*This song SO reminds me of a little girl I used to babysit. She wasn't allowed to watch TV, but we were allowed to listen to her parents' albums. Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits was her favorite. She was four at the time. I wonder where she is now--probably in med school somewhere. (We were playing with Legos one time, and she asked me to hand her the "transparent" one. She was four! I was 16, and I would've called it "clear.")

No comments: