3.30.2010

The Top 10 sing Soul and R&B

I'm watching late (it's 11:15pm) because I was caught up in The Biggest Loser this evening. (That daggone Melissa is back. Damn.) Since it's late, this will be semi-short & sweet. I'll post a link to the Post's more extensive round up tomorrow.

Here we go. Usher is the mentor this week. Hopefully he can teach some of these people stage presence. We'll see.

Siobhan - "Through the Fire" by Chaka Khan. Uh-oh...she's off tonight. Not the right song choice; her voice isn't quite strong enough for the song. First time I didn't love her. The judges talked for what seemed like forever, only to echo what I said.

Casey - "Hold On, I'm Coming" by Sam & Dave. Did he forget the words?!?!?!?!?! I think so. Oh man. That's a shame, because until then, he was doing well. He does great with the blues. Hmm...no one said anything about missed lyrics...maybe I was wrong. Simon even said it was his best yet.

Mike - "Ready for Love" by India.Arie. Ooohh--Usher *is* talking about stage presence and how to project to the audience. Mike's sitting on a stool tonight, so no crazy dance moves. He did a nice job. Judges agreed.

Didi - I'm already cringing before I even hear what she's singing. Then she says she's singing "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" by Jimmy Ruffin. Then she sang for Usher (badly), and then she started crying! Say what?! Apparently, the song moves her. I hate this performance. There's no SOUL in the song--it sounds like a Lawrence Welk version. The judges panned her. She needs to hear Joan Osborne doing it:

Note: If you haven't seen it, PLEASE rent Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Performance of this song by Joan Osborne and the Funk Brothers was my favorite part of the movie.

Tim - "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker. Usher's a good mentor--he's giving good, useful advice. He told Tim to imagine a woman he loves standing right in front of him as he sings, so that the song will come off as believable. Let's see if he can pull it off. Tim's voice is good, but Broadway-ee. He'd be perfect as Marius in Les Misérables.

Andrew - "Forever" by Chris Brown. FINALLY. A great performance from Andrew! Best since that fantastic "Straight Up" he did during Hollywood week. I loved his acoustic version. The judges approved too.

Katie - here I am cringing again. Okay, she's singing, "Chain of Fools" by Aretha Franklin. I'll keep an open mind.... She's much better this week than last. Probably her best all season, but I still can't say I'm wowed.

Lee - I wish Lee would either shave his chin, or grow a full goatee. Anyway, he's singing, "Treat Her Like a Lady" by the Cornelius Brothers. He sounds awesome and he seems so much more confident tonight. Love it! He was on it tonight!

Crystal - no guitar tonight, and stiletto heels. AND piano! She's doing "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight & the Pips. I love it as soon as she sings the start: "L.A." WOO-HOO!!!!!!!! I absolutely loved it!

Aaron - "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" by Bill Withers. He did a good job, but I have a hard time with him being so young singing lyrics so beyond his years. It was decent.

My breakdown:

10. Didi
9. Tim
8. Siobhan
7. Aaron
6. Katie
5. Casey
4. Mike
3. Andrew
2. Lee
1. Crystal

Until tomorrow....

No comments: