3.05.2010

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

A Reliable Wife My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I was very disappointed in this book. I bought it because the reviews on the back cover were appealing. The very first one says, "A thrilling, juicy read...a real page-turner." Umm...not quite. In fact, I found the language to be quite slow, boring and repetitive. The book is about the miserable lives of three main characters. They have no redeeming qualities and any misfortune that comes to them, they bring on themselves.

The premise was interesting: a rich, lonely, older man puts an ad in the paper for a wife in the early 1900s. The young woman he chooses wrote that she's a "simple woman," which is what he wanted. The woman actually came with ulterior motives--to marry him, poison him slowly until he dies, and then inherit all his money. The man has plans of his own. The third character comes onto the scene about halfway through. He's not even worth mentioning.

The execution of all this was terrible. In the midst of this dark tale is a semi-erotic novel full of sex that seemed out of place with the rest of the story. I love a good juicy, trashy novel, and don't mind sex in a book at all, but you've got to have a good story to go with it, and this just didn't work for me.

2 comments:

kerri said...

AMEN!! I could not agree with you more! I am actually reading this book for my book club later this week and urgh... It's really bummed me out. I feel I "must" finish the last quarter of the book for book club, but it's making me just read magazines at night because I just hate the book and am avoiding it. Can't wait for it to be over, and find something I actually enjoy.

Valerie said...

Kerri, you'll have to let me know what the rest of your book club thought. I'm glad I'm not alone. I read all the positive reviews on the book and the 5-star reviews on Amazon or Goodreads and was thinking, "what am I missing???"