3.07.2010

My Oscar picks (and winners)

I'm finding it difficult to make picks this year because I'm not passionate about any particular movie this year. The movie I was most excited about this year, (500) Days of Summer, didn't get any nominations, so I was disappointed about that.

That being said, following is who or what I'd like to win (marked "Val") vs. what I think will win. Movies in bold are those I saw. [Updated just after midnight to show the winners in red.]


Best Actor
  • Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart - Val, will win
  • George Clooney in Up in the Air
  • Colin Firth in A Single Man
  • Morgan Freeman in Invictus
  • Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker
Best Supporting Actor
  • Matt Damon in Invictus
  • Woody Harrelson in The Messenger
  • Christopher Plummer in The Last Station
  • Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones
  • Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds - Val, will win [Even though I didn't see any of the other nominees, I'd say this is probably the best-deserved nomination this year. Not just for Supporting Actor, but overall. This guy was incredible in this movie.]
Best Actress
  • Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side (This was the biggest surprise of the night to me. I loved her acceptance speech and she looked beautiful.)
  • Helen Mirren in The Last Station
  • Carey Mulligan in An Education
  • Gabourey Sidibe in Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire - Val
  • Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia - will win
Best Supporting Actress
  • Penélope Cruz in Nine
  • Vera Farmiga in Up in the Air
  • Maggie Gyllenhaal in Crazy Heart
  • Anna Kendrick in Up in the Air
  • Mo’Nique in Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire - Val, will win
Best Director
  • James Cameron, Avatar - will win
  • Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker (First time a woman won!! Woo-hoo!)
  • Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
  • Lee Daniels, Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire
  • Jason Reitman, Up in the Air - Val
Best Picture
  • Avatar
  • The Blind Side
  • District 9
  • An Education
  • The Hurt Locker - will win
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire*
  • A Serious Man
  • Up
  • Up in the Air - Val
* I didn't list out the Best Original/Adapted Screenplay lists, but I suspect Precious has a good chance of winning Best Adapted Screenplay. [I was right!]

We'll see how it goes in just a few hours. I'm excited to see how Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin do as hosts--I think they'll be great.

Update - 12:10 a.m.

It was a pretty good show. I loved the performance by the Legion of Extraordinary Dancers to showcase the nominations for Best Original Score. (Up won, by the way. I might have to get that soundtrack--the music just makes me happy.) Did you notice Russell, last years' SYTYCD winner, dancing with them? My sister spotted some other SYTYCD dancers in the opener with Neil Patrick Harris. I wasn't paying that much attention, so I'll have to go back and watch.

Steve and Alec did a good job. Some jokes were bad, some were really good--I suppose that's to be expected.

I LOVED the tribute they did to John Hughes. It brought me back to high school.

I also like the thing they started last year where colleagues/friends introduce the nominees for Best Actor and Best Actress--it's nice to hear little anecdotes about these Hollywood folks.

At some point, Gerard Butler and Bradley Cooper were on stage to present something. Haven't they both been tied to Jennifer Aniston recently? AWK-ward!

I think Avatar won the appropriate awards: Art Direction, Cinematography, and Visual Effects.

OK, I think that's it. Talk amongst yourselves...

1 comment:

AllyssaWR said...

I didn't even think of the Aniston connection--I just thought YUM!