3.16.2010

The Main Event

Well, that's what Ryan Seacrest called it--tonight's the night the Top 12 perform on AI. Sorry I missed posting last week--I was out Monday and Tuesday nights, and it just threw off my whole week.

So, here we are. The big stage, bigger audience, the judges were introduced on stage instead of in their seats. I'm doing another pool this year, so I need to work on my "bracket," so-to-speak. Based on tonight's performances my pool-mates and I will rank the contestants in the order we think they will be eliminated, all the way to who we think will win.

Tonight's theme is: The Rolling Stones.

"Big Mike" Lynch is up first, doing "Miss You" (Whatsa matter wit'chu boyyyy...my favorite line. Mike didn't do it though.) He did a good job tonight...the arrangement had a Stevie Wonder feel to it. The judges liked it. Simon thought his dancing was corny, but that he sang it well. He thought the performance was a tiny bit desperate at times.

Didi Benami, - "Play with Fire." Man, she really reminds me of Brooke White from Season 7--she's a better singer though. She sounded good tonight. Judges liked it. Simon said it was solid, but not brilliant.

Casey James - "It's All Over Now." This is my favorite performance of his so far. He had his electric guitar and seemed really comfortable on stage. He reminded me of Jonny Lang. He did great! Wait, what's this? Randy said, "I think you could make a great career like this in the wake of the Kenny Wayne Shepherds, the Jonny Langs." Say what?! Randy's reading my mind. (That reminds me...I need to do a different post about Kenny Wayne Shepherd.) Kara liked the blues and soul...she said it's his best performance. Simon disagreed and said it was like an audition performance, and not incredible, like it should be at this point.

Lacey Brown - "Ruby Tuesday." She was a little "wobbly" in the beginning, but did well with the chorus. The last note was a bit weak too. She had a string quartet that was nice. Randy was "pleasantly surprised." Ellen liked it. Kara thinks she can do better. Simon said she performs like an actress, and that she's over-thinking her performance, but there was nothing wrong with the vocals.

Andrew Garcia - "Gimme Shelter." He sounded good tonight, but I missed seeing him with his guitar. I think he did better than the last two weeks. Randy thought it was pitchy everywhere. Ellen, on the other hand, thought it was his best performance yet. Kara didn't "feel" the meaning of the song--she didn't think he connected with it. She wanted more intensity. Simon thought he gave it 100%, but that something didn't connect. He liked that Andrew tried something different.

Katie Stevens - "Wild Horses." She chose this song because it "spoke to her." The beginning of the song seemed to low for her, but she let go when she got to the chorus and sounded pretty good....maybe a little off from time to time. Randy thought she sang it well, and also mentioned some "pitch moments" that she corrected. Ellen thought she sounded great once she got into it. Kara liked her variations on the melody. Better than last week. Simon said it's the only week where she's chosen a strong song. Turns out he recorded it with Susan Boyle....interesting. Anyway, he told her, "well done."

Tim Urban - "Under My Thumb." Before he takes the stage, we learn that he grew up in a family with 2 parents, 10 kids and ONE SHOWER. Wow. He's got the reggae beat goin' on. The audience doesn't seem to know what to do with the beat and their clapping is all off beat--it's very annoying. He's got a nice voice, but he didn't blow me away. Randy thought it was weird, didn't like the reggae. Ellen said he didn't wow her. Kara applauded the arrangement. Simon applauded him for doing something different, but said it didn't work.

Siobhan Magnus - "Paint It Black." The judges have been complaining all night that the kids weren't using the stage. Not so with Siobhan. She even came out on stairs. I love her. She's so quirky, and sounded great tonight. Randy said, "bringing the drama to season 9--that was hot!" Kara said she's had the best interpretation tonight. Simon said it was the standout performance of the night.

Lee Dewyze - "Beast of Burden." Nice performance--I like his voice a lot. Randy thought it was DOPE. New word for Randy this season! Ellen liked it but said she expected a little more. Kara commended his tremendous growth. Simon thinks his personality doesn't shine, but he has an incredibly great voice. Simon wants to see him have "a moment" on this stage.

Jeez Louise--they just showed a commercial for Glee. It doesn't come back until April 13! I want my Glee now!!!

Next up, Paige Miles - "Honky Tonk Women." I hate to say it, but I don't have much hope for this. Maybe she'll prove me wrong. Eh. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I didn't love it. I don't really care for her voice. Randy liked it. Ellen thought she sounded great. Apparently she was having issues with her voice this week...Ellen and Kara commended her for singing her big notes. She has laryngitis. Knowing that, she did sing pretty well. Simon said it was good, but he didn't love the song choice.

Aaron Kelly - "Angie." Nah, it's not working for me, dog. He sang it fine, but I think his voice is too young for the song....you can't hear pain and regret like you do in the original. Randy liked it. Ellen asked if he's trying to do his hair like hers. They do look exactly the same. Ellen loved it. Kara loved it. Simon said he chose the absolute right song. Simon thought it was one of his best performances so far. I'm totally off on this one, I guess.

Crystal Bowersox - "You Can't Always Get What You Want." She's my favorite, hands down. She was great tonight! Randy didn't think it was her best performance, but he loves her. Ellen liked that her personality came out tonight. Simon thought it was the first time she was beaten by someone else (Siobhan) since the competition began.

Alrighty. That's it. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I have to think about my rankings. For tonight, Lacey and Paige were my least favorites, Crystal, Siobhan, and Casey were my faves.

1 comment:

kerri said...

I thought this show really illustrated the point that people should NOT cover Rolling Stones songs. Leave it be, people.