3.03.2010

It's the girls' turn

Tonight the top 10 girls are performing on AI. First up is Crystal Bowersox doing CCR's Long as I Can See the Light. She was in the hospital this week but is feeling much better. She put a gospel spin on the song and showed why I like her so much. I loved it. So did the judges. Simon pointed out that it was at this point in the competition that they realized Kelly Clarkson was a serious artist, and he said he realizes tonight that Crystal is a really serious artist.

Haeley Vaughn is doing The Climb by Miley Cyrus. She says the lyrics mean a lot to her. She sounds a little off, and very young. Which she is, I guess, (she's 16) but this just isn't something I'd want to listen to. I can see little 10-year-olds loving it. Randy said it was excruciating. Ellen & Randy didn't feel she was connected to the song. And Simon said it was a complete and utter mess, and that there was an irony by her singing about The Climb, when she actually fell off. Ouch.

Lacey Brown - Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer. Last week Kara commented that Lacey should do a song like this, and mentioned this song specifically, because it's more Lacey's "vibe" than "Landslide" was. Kara was right on. She seems much more comfortable this week and sounds good. Randy didn't feel she brought anything to it. Ellen, on the other hand, thought it was the right song and that she sounded adorable. Kara thought it was a step in the right direction. Simon thought it was only marginally better than last week.

Katie Stevens - Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae. She sounded good, but not as good as the original. (Sorry--but Corinne Bailey Rae's album, er, CD, ha become one of my favorites.) Judges were eh, but Simon gave her a wink at the end.

DiDi Benami - Lean On Me by Bill Withers. Hmmm...shaky start and I think it's the wrong song choice. She should've done Lovely Day or something not so familiar. Randy said she shouldn't have chosen a deep-rooted soul song like that. Oh, and what's this? Ellen said, "I love Bill Withers. I wish it would've been "Lovely Day" or "Use Me." Thanks for validating me Ellen! Kara & Simon didn't like it either. Aw...I felt bad for her--she couldn't talk after getting the negative comments, I suspect because she would've really broken down. She had tears in her eyes. That has to be hard.

Michelle Delamor - With Arms Wide Open by Creed. Last week she did Alicia Keys, so this is a big change. Oh dear, it's not good. Her voice isn't big enough for the song. Her notes were off and all over the place. Kara said this was her favorite performance of Michelle's ever. Say what?! Well, Kara liked that she was real and believed in it, despite the technical problems. And Simon agreed. Really?! He said she got it 80% right.

Lilly Scott - A Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke. I like her voice a lot, but am not sure this is the right song. She reminds me of Katie Melua*. Overall, I liked her performance. Randy said she worked it out. Ellen said she has "It." Ellen said it was the best performance of the night--disagree. I'd put Crystal first, then Lilly. Simon thought it was good, but wasn't crazy about it like the other judges, but he felt Crystal was better tonight. Hmm. I feel like that's been said before....

Katelyn Epperly - The Scientist by Coldplay. Just a girl and a piano. She did a really nice job tonight. It was great. Randy liked it. Ellen thought it was way too slow. Simon said her song was almost identical to Natasha Beddingfield's version of the song, but Katelyn said she wasn't familiar with that version. Simon said she gets a little corny when performing--I kinda agree with that. She stared into the camera too much. I'm not a Coldplay fan and wasn't familiar with this song, so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as the speed of the song...I thought she did a great job.

Paige Miles - Walk Away by Kelly Clarkson. I thought she was decent. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about her performance. Randy thought it was just okay. Ellen loved it. Kara actually co-wrote that song and felt Paige didn't connect with it...she said Paige shouldn't have been smiling so much as she's telling the guy in the song to take a hike. Simon agreed with Randy--wrong song choice. Simon said the songs are overtaking her.

And FINALLY,

Siobhan (pronounced SHO-vahn) Magnus - Think by Aretha. She was GOOD! I like her voice a lot. Randy said it was DOPE! Ellen loved it too. Kara couldn't get over that high note. Simon said, "You're such a strange person." He meant it as a compliment. He can't figure her out. He said she's interesting and very, very talented. She's a cutie. (That's me saying that, not Simon.)

Alright folks. We'll see who goes tomorrow. I predict Lacey and Michelle, but what do I know?

Ciao.

*About Katie Melua. I discovered her when I went to Paris in, gosh, 2004, with my sister and friends. We flew on Iceland Air and they had a song playlist you could listen to by plugging your headphones into the armrest. The four songs I remember most were "I'm a Slave 4 U" by Britney Spears, "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand, some French song that I loved, but have forgotten the name, and finally, "The Closest Thing to Crazy" by Katie Melua. I listened to that set over, and over, and over on the way to Paris and any time I hear any of these songs, I'm reminded of our trip. Fun times. I put the songs in the playlist under the clock in the right-hand column. I hope I wrote down the French song somewhere. I'll have to look.

No comments: