3.02.2010

American Idol top 10 guys

The Olympics are over. Time to comment on AI, but this will still be brief because I'm tired tonigth and want to get to bed early.

The guys sang tonight instead of the girls because my girl Crystal was sick and told not to perform tonight.

Big Mike started off with James Brown's This is a Man's World, and he was FANTASTIC! SO much better than last week's performance. Judges loved it.

John Park did Gravity by John Mayer. (I love this song. John Mayer, not so much after his comments to Playboy. Ugh.) John Park did okay with the song--he started out well, but then it got kinda shaky. Judges said he needed to bring more, but Kara pointed out it was way better than last week. Simon called it a "so what?" performance.

Casey James did Gavin Degraw's "I Don't Wanna Be." He sounded fine, but did the song just as it sounds on the radio. Kara's ga-ga over this guy. I don't see it. (He should at least wear his hair pulled back--his photo on the Idol website isn't too bad.) BUT, she didn't like tonight's performance because he didn't stand out. Interesting. Simon agreed with Kara.

Alex Lambert and his mini-mullet and plaid jacket did Everybody Knows by John Legend. His voice reminds me of Jason Mraz. He should've skipped the high note at the end but otherwise, it was good. Judges felt it was a huge improvement over last week. (Please note that Ellen also commented on his mullet.)

Todrick Hall did What's Love Got To Do with It by Tina Turner. I don't really have anything negative to say about his performance, but I just wasn't feeling it. He sang fine, but eh. Judges didn't care for it...Simon said he should stick with dancing.

Oy vey. Still five to go...

Jermaine Sellers - What's Going On by Marvin Gaye. This guy has enough self confidence to go around the world. Good for him--wish I had it. Still, his self-confidence gets on my nerves. I think he thinks he's much better than he actually is. His performance was better than last week in that he was on key most of the time, but I didn't really care for it. Judges didn't like it either.

I know what you're thinking: I thought this was going to be brief! Yeah, me too.

Next!

Andrew Garcia - You Give Me Something by James Morrison. I love this guy and am really pulling for him, but tonight's performance started off kinda weak. It got better toward the middle when he got a little more soulful. Randy said it wasn't the right vibe for him. I concur. Ellen pointed out that he set the bar so high with his "Straight Up" performance and he hasn't measured up since. I'm sorry to say I agree. Simon said it was not memorable.

Aaron Kelly - My Girl by The Temptations. This youngster reminds me of David Archuleta, but I like his singing better. Bad song choice though. This song needs the harmonies of the Temptations! Singing by himself, it just sounds flat. Plus, he's only 16--why's he singing this old song? Bad last note, too. Kara liked it a lot. The others were lukewarm. Simon said it was too old-fashioned. Yep, Simon agreed with me.

Tim Urban - I'll call him Shaggy D.A. - "Come on Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson. Good song choice for him, and he sang well, but he didn't stand out. Randy called it karaoke. Ellen didn't think singing was his strong point. Kara also liked the song choice, but, he didn't make it his own. Simon said it was a marked improvement over last week and thought it was more relevant than others tonight.

Lee Dewyze - Lips of an Angel by Hinder. I really love this guy's raspy voice a lot. He did a great job tonight. Simon said that vocally, he's head and shoulders above the other guys, and that he may be the one to beat.

Best performances were the first and the last. The middle was just filler.

'Nite all!

No comments: