2.10.2010

It's still snowing



So, we're on round two of Blizzard 2010 in the DC area. I just finished the last of five movies I got from Blockbuster, and I'm all caught up on Tivo. I still have a couple of things from Netflix that I can tackle. I've been off work since Friday, and judging from what I see outside...heavy winds (40-50 mph) and more and more snow--I can barely see the houses across the court--refer to the picture above), tomorrow will likely be another day off.

So, a quick review of what I've been watching:

The Hurt Locker
- This is nominated for nine Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay and Best Director. It's a good movie with strong performances. I can't take anything away from it. BUT, (there's always a but, right?) I've come to realize that I really don't care for desert war movies. I don't know what it is. Watching them, I almost feel the same way I do when watching submarine movies, where I feel closed in, slightly claustrophobic. Maybe it's the monotonous brown color. In submarine movies, everything's a monotonous blue. I dunno. I guess I'm just weird like that.

Adam - I really enjoyed this movie with Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne (from TV's Damaages about a romance between a guy with Asperger's Syndrome and his neighbor. Very sweet.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - this was cute, but maybe 15-20 minutes too long, which is saying a lot since it's only 90 minutes. I found my mind wondering and then I was thinking too literally about it and was annoyed that people never seemed to get hit in the head by falling hamburgers. I'll have to check out the book some time--I imagine it's better as a short book.

Whatever Works - This is Woody Allen's latest with Larry David and Evan Rachel Ward. I enjoyed this a lot too. I probably enjoyed it so much because Larry David's character, Boris, has a world view/philosophy that's pretty similar to mine, though I hope I'm a *little* more optimistic that he is.

and finally....

District 9 -

Before I discuss this, I have to give a little back story. Last year, I was at a movie theater where there was an older couple sitting a few rows in front of me. During the first preview, which was some sort of horror film, the gentleman in front of me did this elaborate dramatic display--waving his arms in the air and ultimately putting his hands into a thumbs-down format. I was like, WTF was that? Next preview comes on--he does the same thing. It was pretty funny. I wish I could have video taped it so you get the full picture, but alas, I could not.

Flash forward a few weeks to my annual trip to Omaha. We were watching TV at my cousin's house and a commercial for District 9 came on. I proceeded to give a thumbs-down the same way I'd seen the old guy do. My cousin said, "that doesn't look good to you?" I told her that aliens ain't my thing.

Now, this movie turns up as a nominee for Best Picture! Even though there are a couple movies nominated that I'm not so sure about (this and Avatar come to mind), I decided to stick with my usual goal of seeing all the nominees in the major categories, and I rented District 9

Well, I have to say. I was wrong. This movie was really enjoyable. Really gross at times. But enjoyable. It was intelligent, funny at time, and completely original. An alien mother ship hovers over Johannesburg, South Africa. The aliens were removed from the ship and placed into a shantytown (the film crew filmed this in the real shantytown, Soweto.) In this movie, instead of the Blacks being oppressed, it's the aliens. A guy is hired to lead the effort to move the aliens out of Johannesburg to a new concentration-camp like home 200 kilometers away from Johannesburg. Then something happens to him and all hell breaks loose. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll leave it at that. Great movie! I'm glad I gave in to my Oscar See-Everything Nuerosis.

As for TV

There was a great documentary about Soul Train on VH1. That was a lot of fun. The Good Wife had a great episode this week. And I'm still loving Life Unexpected.

Oh, and I forgot to mention--I watched that show, Undercover Boss after the Super Bowl and was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. On this episode, the CEO of Waste Management went undercover and found out what his folks in the trenches did. He was moved by their stories and implemented changes in his company to make things better. He took it to heart when he discovered that some policies he'd put in place earlier really weren't working. Every person in upper management should do something like this. It was a good show. Also, looking forward to the new Amazing Race, I think it starts this Sunday.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Wow, I really didn't think that you would care much for District 9 (thought the gore would be too much). Glad you liked it! One of the blogs I follow had a post about this movie, and the blogger didn't care much for it (for various reasons)..she got all kinds of angry comments on her blog for having the opinion that she did. I read that post before I saw the movie, so I didn't watch it with a totally open mind, but I still managed to enjoy it. So, which movies do you still need to see?

Valerie said...

I was surprised myself about District 9! I gave it to my dad to watch--I think he'll get a kick out of it too.

As for the Oscar movies I still need to see, please see my new post coming shortly. ;o)