11.28.2009

Weekend doings

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I had a quiet day with my parents and sister. We did a potluck at my house. Mom and Dad brought the bird and gravy (and excellent potato rolls that my mom makes each year). One year I'll tackle a bird, but I didn't feel ready yet this year.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that every Thanksgiving I watch Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter and Robert Downey, Jr., and Pieces of April with Katie Holmes & Patricia Clarkson. These are two great Thanksgiving movies following dysfunctional families. Watching these makes me realize how grateful I am to have a "normal" family. We don't argue with each other--well, my sister and I might have a tiff here and there, but they usually don't last long--and we genuinely get along with each other. I know I'm lucky and this is probably not the norm. It's nice.

On Saturday, I finally went to see Precious. As most critics have said, the performances in this movie were fantastic. The movie has some difficult themes, but I didn't find it as difficult to watch as I did to read the book it's based on, Push by Sapphire. ***I don't think this is a spoiler, but I'm giving heads up that I'm about to talk about the plot. The book goes into much more graphic detail of the abuse Precious falls victim too. That's the hard part. On the other hand, it also goes into much more detail about her journey in school and beyond, so in the book, I felt a little more connected to Precious and what she was doing. I guess she felt more like a real person as I was reading the book, and more a character when I saw the movie.End possible spoiler.***

On a happier note, I'm still loving the Jay-Z/Alicia Keys performance from the American Music Awards last week. My sister and I showed it to my parents on Thanksgiving and my dad immediately said, "Play that again." He had the same reaction I did--he really enjoyed the shots of the audience. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. The lead singer from Green Day looks a little perplexed, though. My sister said that maybe he was contemplating a joint venture with Jay-Z. Umm...doubtful, but sure, let's go with that. I love the arrangement and all the pianos on stage. Nicely done. Anyway, here it is in case you missed it:

2 comments:

kerri said...

thanks for the post!

did you get to watch the rock and roll hall of fame thing on HBO last night? stevie wonder, bono, sting, paul simon, LOTS of interesting combos- if you didn't see it, try to find it on hbo- sure they'll re-air it.

i wanna read the book before seeing the movie- still haven't gotten it yet tho. books always are able to have a lot more meat in them than movies- looking forward to both!

Jeanene said...

Thanks for posting the link. I missed it, and couldn't find it online last week. I've had this song on repeat since September. NBC used the hook in its coverage of the US Open in NYC.