10.27.2009

Push by Sapphire

Push: A Novel Push: A Novel by Sapphire


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Wow. Reading this was emotionally draining. There where several times where I found myself exhaling loudly as if I'd been holding my breath. (Mabye I was.) My eyes welled up at least three times. The story is about Claireece Precious Jones, a 16-year-old in 9th grade, about to have her 2nd baby. She's the victim of abuse, doesn't know how to read, and finds herself in an alternative school after she's kicked out of public school due to her pregnancy. The scenes of abuse were very difficult to read, but Precious' hope for a better life is what keeps you going. As the Newsday review says, it's a "horrific, hope-filled story." That says it all.

2 comments:

kerri said...

thanks for this post!
really looking forward to reading it. i'll try to remember to breathe.

Valerie said...

Funny--I just saw a preview for the movie. Oprah said that the movie left her "breathless." We'll have to remember to breathe there too! :o)