9.25.2009

TV, TV and more TV

The new TV season has started and Tivo has been busy. New shows I've enjoyed so far are Glee, of course, Modern Family, Cougar Town, and The Good Wife. I'm still watching most of my old shows too, and so far I've enjoyed How I Met Your Mother and The Office, and I thought Grey's Anatomy last night was really good. Intense, but good. Unexpectedly, I found last night's Parks & Recreation to be hilarious.

I'm also watching a show on The Sundance Channel this week called Brick City. It's a documentary produced by Forrest Whitaker that looks at the city of Newark, NJ and how its mayor and police force are working to reduce crime. The Washington Post said it was a real-life The Wire. In the course of watching this show, I have fallen for the mayor, Mr. Cory Booker. He's not only easy on the eyes, but I love how he's gotten involved with his community. He's a great speaker, relates well to kids, comes from a good family, and he's SINGLE.

As an aside....I was at Target yesterday and an older gentleman--probably 60 or so, with thinning hair died jet black (like Gene Simmons), bad teeth, and a weird smell (mothballs and...???)--approached me. He said, "May I please compliment you on your exceptional beauty." I was quite surprised and said, "Oh! Thank you!" He had a thick accent--French? Spanish? I'm not sure. He proceeded to tell me that I'm the type of "voluptuous ebony" that he loves. (Um...okay...) He asked my name, asked if it was spelled with a 'y' or 'ie' and then said "Would Valerie care to join me for a romantic dinner at a French restaurant?" I told him thank you, but no because I'm seeing someone (which I'm not). He said, "He's a lucky, lucky man." Well that was flattering...in a weird, creepy way. Now I just need to figure out how to get Cory Booker to say those things to me....

4 comments:

Erika said...

Heh heh... funny story. Oh, old men!

Allyssa said...

Bizarre. Just completely bizarre. Why did he talk to you in the 3rd person? Weird.

kerri said...

those types of men are the only ones that ever approach me so let me just say, i am glad i'm married.

did you answer with, "no valerie will not be joining you..."

but, yes!! still flattering. a compliment is a compliment! :)

Valerie said...

Dang! I should've said "No, Valerie won't be joining you." That's funny!