9.02.2009

I hate when high hopes are dashed

I was off work on Monday and decided to go see Taking Woodstock. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. I think it was one of those instances of high hopes and expectations that just weren't met.

Before I talk about the movie, I'd like to highly recommend seeing a movie on a Monday afternoon when people are still at work AND it's the first day of school. Me and one other guy were in the theater--I didn't have to listen to people talking behind me, or to loud popcorn crunching. It was nice.

Despite that quiet setting, the movie left a little to be desired. The problem, for me, is that we never get a view of what's happening on stage at the concert. In fact, we barely hear any music from the show. I understand why this was done--the story's told from the main charater's (Elliot) point of view. It's based on a true story, and it turns out that this guy never did actually see any of the concert because he was working at his parents' resort hotel, hosting hundreds of hippies as they moved into town for the three-day show. That's fine, and I get that, but Ang Lee made extensive use of the split screen in this movie, and there's no reason he couldn't have shown "Jimi Hendrix" or "Janis Joplin" on stage on the left side, while showing Elliot changing sheets on the beds on the right side.

I think the movie's worth seeing at some point, but you don't need to rush out to see it. Certainly don't pay full price at night!

Oh! And in case you didn't know, the Best of SYTYCD is on FOX tonight at 8pm eastern. After that, they're replaying the pilot of "Glee," which is the show I'm most looking forward to this season. Check it out!

No comments: