8.07.2009

And the winner is not Evan

I'm watching the SYTYCD finale right now. I decided not to do a blow by blow because, well, I just didn't feel like it. Throughout the show, the judges picked their favorite performances from the season. After the first hour, Cat Deeley announced that after all the millions of votes came in, Kayla was in fourth place. I wasn't that surprised. Then they showed another performance or two, and Cat brought Brandon, Evan, and Jeanine back on stage to announce the next elimination. I was worried about this--I was thinking Evan might be popular enough to cause an upset, but then Cat said he was in 3rd place. Whew. The top two are Brandon and Jeanine, just as I wanted it.

By the way, my Tivo only recorded the first 30 minutes of the show tonight. Thankfully, my backup upstairs recorded the whole thing. I think there's something wrong with the cable cards from Comcast and I need to give them a call. This is the second time that's happened during SYTYCD. Not acceptable.

Anyway, before the winners were announced, Melissa and Ade did an encore of the breast cancer piece choreographed by Tyce Diorio. Before they danced, he announced that he learned Thursday morning that his friend, for whom he choreographed the piece, is not cancer free. The encore was even more beautiful knowing that news. A friend of mine who survived breast cancer said she:
loved the fact that it wasn't only the woman dancing but the couple and that he was as moved as she and had to go through his own turmoil but kept coming backto hold her, to be held, and to lift her up.
She then said that she really thanked her husband in her own recovery. Wow.

After this performance, the top eight reprised "One" from a Chorus Line. At the end, we got to see the judges from tonight's panel (Nigel, Mary, Mia Michaels, Adam Shankman, Debbie Allen, and Tyce Diorio) do a little performance. (Hey, where was Lil C???) And may I say again, that the lighting production on this stage is horrendous? I'm not blinded like I was last night, but it's still pretty bad and my head's starting to hurt again.

And finally they get to the result. It's between Jeanine and Brandon. The winner is:

Jeanine!

WOW! WOW! WOW! Well done, America!!!!!!!!!! Well done, Jeanine!! Fantastic! I'm SO happy for her! I think last night she said she auditioned on a whim, and look where it got her. Amazing.

Hmm...they didn't say anything about Brandon getting a prize like they did for Katee last year--no fair.

Now I'm looking forward to the Fall season, and also the new show, Glee, which will follow SYTYCD on Wednesdays, I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On a sad note, I read tonight that John Hughes passed away, apparently from a heart attack while he was taking a walk. Wow. This man made so many movies that helped shaped my teen years. This weekend I'll certainly be popping in Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club and Some Kind of Wonderful. RIP Mr. Hughes.

No comments: