2.02.2009

Whittling down the Oscar nominee list

OK, that subject line makes it sound like I saw several movies over the weekend that I can check off my list, but I really only saw one movie which covers several categories: Best Supporting Actor, Best Actor, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Picture. That movie is Milk. I absolutely loved it. Sean Penn is an incredible actor and he makes you completely forget that he's Sean Penn--he's so enmeshed into the character. (Wait. Is "enmeshed" even a word? Oh good--it is, AND I used it correctly.)

Anyway, the movie is very uplifting, despite it's tragic ending, and even though it takes place in the 70s, it's very timely and relevant to the stuff going on today regarding equal rights for gay people. I think everyone should see it...it might open some minds. I thought James Franco was great, as were all the other supporting actors. Josh Brolin is nominated for Supporting Actor, and though I think he was really good, I don't think he should win the award this year. Instead, he should've been nominated and won for No Country for Old Men. Maybe this year's nomination is to make up for that. The Academy is funny that way.

In other movie news, I've had the last of the Rocky saga, Rocky Balboa, at home for many weeks from Blockbuster's Netflix-like service. Even though I'd heard many good things about it, I was just never in the mood to watch it. But, there's another Oscar nom I wanted to rent (The Visitor) and I needed my mail movie to take in to get the new one for free, so, I figured I may as well finally watch it.

Well, shame on me for putting it off for so long. I really enjoyed it. It was more along the lines of the very first Rocky--more about his relationships with people and his life than about a big, glammed-up, over-hyped fight with Mr. T. or Dolph Lundgren. Adrian has died (was Talia Shire not interested in doing another movie??) and he's feeling unsettled. He's got one more fight in him. And on it goes. The big fight was amazing. I watched the DVD extras, and though the moves were choreographed, the hits (and sounds) were real. The opposing fighter was played by Antonio Tarver, the first light heavyweight fighter to knock out Roy Jones, Jr. Sly Stallone figured it'd be easier to teach an athlete to act, than to teach an actor to box. It was a good move. Too bad heavyweight fights nowadays aren't exciting like the one in this movie. Now the boxers just stand and hug each other round after round....there's hardly any action and it's so boring. Anyway, if you liked the first Rocky, I think you'll like this one.

No comments: