2.09.2009

Awards, awards, awards

I watched the full broadcast of the Grammys last night, and you know what? It was actually pretty good. As long as I can remember, I've always preferred the American Music Awards to the Grammys because the Grammy were B-O-R-I-N-G. This year, though, the show was full of great performances, and they didn't waste time with an unfunny host.

Loved
Al Green, Justin Timberlake, Boys II Men and Keith Urban singing "Let's Stay Together." What a great song, and a great performance, even though only three of the four B II M were there, and they were relegated to singing backup.

Liked
  • Jennifer Hudson winning Best R&B Album. She looked amazing, and was very gracious in thanking her family in Heaven and those with her last night. She received a standing O for winning the award, and also later when she sang. She's a strong young lady.

  • Al Green (again) with Duffy. They came out to give an award, but also did some singing. Al Green sang "Moon River," and the two together did "Bridge Over Troubled Water." These two need to work on a song together. Actually, Al Green should do one of those albums where he teams up with a bunch of different folks. Duffy would be included, as would Justin Timberlake.

  • Adele and Sugarland. Sugarland did one of their songs first, and then worked with Adele on "Chasing Pavements." I LOVE that song.

  • Four Tops tribute with Smokey Robinson, Ne-Yo, Jamie Foxx, and Duke Fakir, the last surviving member of the Four Tops. Jamie & Ne-Yo did a respectable job with the oldies. I sure miss Levi Stubbs though.

Didn't like
  • Robert Plant and Alison Krauss winning Record (single) of the Year. As usual, the Grammy voters awarded the obscure stuff that no one's ever heard of. They performed "Please Read the Letter," and it was okay, but that was the first time I'd ever heard it, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. It was okay, but rockabilly ain't just my thang.

  • Coldplay winning so many awards. Eh. I'm so over them. At least Chris Martin actually hit his high notes last night. I would've been happy with any of the other four songs winning Best Song, but nooooooo it was "Viva la Vida." (The other four nominees were: "American Boy," Estelle featuring Kanye West; "Chasing Pavements," Adele; "I'm Yours," Jason Mraz; and "Love Song," Sara Bareillis.)

  • Jonas Brothers with Stevie Wonder. Ummm.... THey first played one of the Jonas Bros songs, yuck. Then they played "Superstition," which was fine, but the Jonas Bros seemed SO dramatic. Look how I play the guitar! Look how I jump and dance and run all around the stage! No, look at me playing the guitar now! I just don't think they "got" the greatness surrounding them.

  • Horrible sound. There were several performances that sounded hollow and echo-y due to the poor sound system. Jennifer Hudson and Justin Timberlake/T.I's performances come to mind.

  • Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. Just bad. Simon would've hated it.

Huh?
  • Whitney Houston. She made some comment about wishing she'd worn her boots with her evening gown. Then, gave a huge tribute to Clive Davis who'd won an award earlier. Whitney looked good, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear she was sipping on something back stage.

  • M.I.A., who performed super pregnant with Jay-Z, Kanye West, Lil Wayne & T.I., on her due date, no less. It's one thing to see a woman bouncing around the stage, doing pelvic thrusts and what not, but for her to be 9 months pregnant AND wearing some strange get up that didn't leave much to the imagination? It was just too much!




In Oscar news, I saw The Wrestler on Sunday afternoon. Mickey Rourke did give a terrific and heartbreaking performance. There was one scene where he had his hood pulled up, and you could see a glimpse of the old Mickey Rourke--that made me kind of sad. The movie is a lot more violent than I expected, but it's very good. I thought it was interesting that when the movie ended, no one jumped out of their seat to leave. It was quiet and I think everyone was reflecting on the powerful performance and ending. (Or, maybe they just wanted to hear Bruce Springsteen's song.)

I have one more Best Actor nominee to see--that's Richard Jenkins in The Visitor. I have it at home and will try to watch some evening this week. I still need to see The Reader and Frost/Nixon too. Only two more weeks til the Oscars, so I need to get busy!

4 comments:

kerri said...

Oh Valerie! I SO agree about the Jonas Brs. YUCK. I love Stevie, think he is just amazingly talented and obviously quite humble. How did that hook up happen?

I saw Frost/Nixon abut found it just a tiny bit boring at parts- I wanna hear what you think. I saw the Reader... I had read the book too. Very good, and the boy was fantastic. And Kate Winslet... I love her.

I still gotta see Slumdog, but I've seen most of the others. What a fantastic year in movies! MILK was my favorite...

Valerie said...

I'll be checking out Frost/Nixon with my folks tomorrow (Tuesday) evening...I'll let you know.

Mark said...

I know I'm old and stuff and that I don't much about what you kids listen to these days, but even I know that Coldplay shouldn't have won. I mean, c'mon, they ripped off the song! I think that Sara Bareillis should have won. (Says the guy who used to, and still does, listen to Public Enemy.)

Valerie said...

@ Mark - Fight the Power!!