1.13.2009

It's here already?

American Idol starts tonight. I guess they'll have a few weeks of auditions and then they'll get down to it. As I've mentioned before, I'm a little ambivalent about watching this year. But, I am curious about the new judge and the new dynamic among the judges. The new judge, Kara DioGuardi, was on The Today Show yesterday, and you know what? I liked her. She seemed down to earth, and like a straight shooter. She's a songwriter who's worked with Santana, Carrie Underwood, Celine Dion, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, and more. We'll see how it goes.



I watched the Golden Globes on Sunday night (yes, the whole show--my coworker was surprised by this) and was rather pleased. Slumdog Millionaire won Best Drama. Vicky Christina Barcelona won Best Musical/Comedy. I think Slumdog will get the Oscar too. There were two poignant moments in the show--one, of course, was when Heath Ledger won for Best Supporting Actor for his role as The Joker. It's so sad that he's no longer with us. The other was when Mickey Rourke accepted his Best Actor award for The Wrestler. He profusely thanked his agent for taking a chance on him, and talked about how none of the studios wanted to put money toward a movie with his name on it. He thanked his dogs, and said that when you're alone, sometimes your dogs are all you have. I wish him the best in his come back.



I hate to admit it, but I've gotten caught up in ABC Family's Secret Life of the American Teenager. There was a marathon over the weekend; I turned it on because I was curious to see Molly Ringwald, and now I'm all into the show. I'm flabbergasted that the top teen actor from my high school days is now playing the mom. Beyond that, the show amuses me because it's the most politically correct show I've ever seen. They've got everything covered. They have the Christian-values family, with the son who has Down Syndrome and the cheerleader daughter who wears a chastity ring. There's the foster kid who lives with a foster dad who is perhaps Middle Eastern. There's an Asian couple. There's the Hispanic girl, who, although she's a slut, is also a majorette and the top of her class. There's the rich kid--son of the "Sausage King." The main character, who is pregnant at 15, has two best friends--one's black, the other's white and is dating the black girl's brother, so there's your interracial romance. All that's missing is a gay character--I'm sure that'll come along at some point. The show is like one long extended after school special. In fact, I think that when Oprah moves to her own network, they should put this show on in her place after school.

1 comment:

kerri said...

i'm geared up to watch idol tonight. i'm interested to see if it's weird w/ the new judge. i hear they're trying to change things up. good move.
i'll check in with you soon!!
happy viewing!