12.01.2008

Getting into the spirit

I have certain movies that I like to watch around the holidays, and that's what I've been doing for the past week.

First I watched my Thanksgiving movies: Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter and Robert Downey, Jr., and Pieces of April with Katie Holmes and Patricia Clarkson. Both are about getting through the holidays with and despite dysfunctional families. Pieces of April is a little darker because it may be Patricia Clarkson's last Thanksgiving, since her character has breast cancer. Still, the movies has an uplifting ending. Home for the Holidays features a possible romance between Holly Hunter and Dylan McDermott, whom I love in this movie. I just love the ending--you don't know how things will end for the pair, but they get to share a great moment.

Then, to start getting into the Christmas mood (which is okay to do now that Santa arrived at the end of the Macy's Day Parade), I put on Love Actually. I can watch that movie over and over again and never tire of it. My favorite stories are those of the Prime Minister (Hugh Grant) and his assistant 'Natalie,' and of Colin Firth and the Portuguese girl. Oh, and of the little boy learning to play the drums to impress 'Joanna.' Love it!

I also watched The Breakfast Club over the weekend--not to get into any kind of holiday spirit, but because I scored 100% on a Facebook quiz. I've seen this movie a hundred times, yet this weekend, I saw something I'd never noticed before. Emilio Estevez flips off the principal after the whole ordeal with trying to keep the door open ("The door's way to heavy, sir."). I couldn't believe I'd never noticed that before. Funny how that happens.

2 comments:

Jeanene said...

I watch Love Actually EVERY Christmas. I love it! I also can't survive without my annual viewing of Elf! Who doesn't love maple syrup on spaghetti?

Valerie said...

You know? I only saw Elf once in the movie theater--maybe I'll add it to my annual list too. :o)